Who or what led you here?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A quest for truth... and later a quest for perfection...

Haven't found either, but I haven't quit looking...

I got fed up with the junk department store knives that I had and wanted to get something better. I started looking at various German sets, and maybe a set of Shuns on Amazon. All of the reviewers were praising themselves for their wise purchase of the most expensive sets that they could find, and I was getting ready to pull the trigger when I found one reviewer said that they were junk. He mentioned various Japanese entry-level knives as being much better quality for less money. That led to Google searches which led to KF where I spent about a year lurking and reading archives before finally buying a gyuto and some stones.

Being very patient and doing a lot of research before each purchase, I think that I've reached a zen point with knives where I can be content to just buy what I need and know that I don't need to find that ultimate blade of each profile. Instead, I can be content that whatever I buy for a given profile is going to be 90% of the way to my own definition of "perfect". I currently only have 1 gyuto (a stainless-steel laser) and I might get a "mighty gyuto" at some point; but I know that I will never own the dozen or so gyutos that I once wanted.

I wish I could say the same about stones. I don't have a huge collection, but the 10 or so that I have is way more than necessary. I know that I could never part with any of my stones and there's still at least a half dozen more that will eventually get. Fortunately, I've been able to keep myself from getting into natural stones (and don't you enables try to start me on that!)

I've always liked knives but it wasn't until a few years ago that I actually started being able to buy decent ones. I was really happy with my first good German knives when I got them, but after about a year and a half my interest in pocketknives and folders lead me to KF. And what I found there was some sort of shambles of a kitchen knife forum that had been super vibrant of full of interesting old posts but then something had happened just a bit before I arrived that had resulted in some sort of deranged internet drama which caused a lot of members to flee. And so I set about trying to find the place that all these knowledgeable people had apparently escaped to, and whaddaya know--here they all are! :)

I was researching Globals, Shuns and Wusthofs about 4 years ago after my no-name knives and Chef's Choice electric sharpener weren't cutting it anymore. Originally I wanted the Shuns, but they were the priciest and I was worried about not being able to use a steel on them (from what I read about Japanese being too brittle ), so I purchased a set of Wusthof Classic Ikons instead. When I realized they weren't cutting as good as the Forschner I used at my old kitchen job back in college, I decided to research sharpening with stones, and ordered some Norton waterstones and learned to sharpen decently. This was okay for me for a while after this.

Then, one day my girlfriend and I were going out to a movie and were early, so we stopped into the Sur la Table nearby...tried a Shun and Global out and immediately purchased the G-2 after making a few cuts. I did a search to see if there was anything I needed to know about sharpening the Global convex edge and found KF. I lurked for a bit as I read as much as I could, then I started an account to ask some direct questions and it quickly became an obsession.

About 20 years ago, I went to a food & wine conference (the keynote speakers were Julia Child and Jacques Pepin. They were marvelous.) Anyway, during one of the Q&A sessions, an audience member asked what knife they should get--the practically unianimous response was--Wusthof. And there were a couple "Henckels is good, too." So here we are 20 years later, and I'm limping along with a couple of Henckels and our wedding present knives (Carvel Hall, anyone? Geniune Molybdenum Steel!) and there was a Wusthof Ikon Santoku on a big clearance at the department store. Since I'd never tried a Wusthof, I snatched it up, and liked it enough better than the knives I had been using that it was time for an upgrade. We ran into a local chef and asked what he recommended--Shun, but he really liked carbon steel. So off to research carbon steel knives. Of course then one starts running across Sur la Table (definitely a level of hell if you go there in person) and the Zwilling Kramer knives. Someone on this forum did a favorable review comparing the ZK to a custom Kramer, and I ordered one. And I like it. A LOT. And found out that there's a lot more out there than department store knives. (Like my Ryusens.) This has been a good place to get educated before the next major purchase...

About 20 years ago, I went to a food & wine conference (the keynote speakers were Julia Child and Jacques Pepin. They were marvelous.) Anyway, during one of the Q&A sessions, an audience member asked what knife they should get--the practically unianimous response was--Wusthof. And there were a couple "Henckels is good, too." So here we are 20 years later, and I'm limping along with a couple of Henckels and our wedding present knives (Carvel Hall, anyone? Geniune Molybdenum Steel!) and there was a Wusthof Ikon Santoku on a big clearance at the department store. Since I'd never tried a Wusthof, I snatched it up, and liked it enough better than the knives I had been using that it was time for an upgrade. We ran into a local chef and asked what he recommended--Shun, but he really liked carbon steel. So off to research carbon steel knives. Of course then one starts running across Sur la Table (definitely a level of hell if you go there in person) and the Zwilling Kramer knives. Someone on this forum did a favorable review comparing the ZK to a custom Kramer, and I ordered one. And I like it. A LOT. And found out that there's a lot more out there than department store knives. (Like my Ryusens.) This has been a good place to get educated before the next major purchase...

Which Zwilling Kramer did you end up with? 8" or 10". Glad you like it either way, I hear it is an excellent performer, thinking about trying one myself.

Which Zwilling Kramer did you end up with? 8" or 10". Glad you like it either way, I hear it is an excellent performer, thinking about trying one myself.

I have the 5" utility knife. It's a size I use a lot, and was a less expensive way to try the knife. I've tried one of the chef's (maybe the 8"?) since I got this one, but it seemed a little tall for my taste.

Back