Why I do what I do.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow that is a touching story. Thanks for sharing.

I can't get this knife out of my head. I just know that I have no experience to be trying to work this. would love to see a wip on it.

It's not about experience, everyone had to start somewhere. This project is all about learning new things and pushing boundaries. you have an amazing amount of resources here to fall upon. you can do most everything by hand and you can make it into anything you want. you can re-imagine yourself and the knife. HaHa!

Please let me know if I'm in error, but the work on the last Nogent could be restrained to thinning, polishing and sharpening the blade. The ebony handle should stay as it is. I could however imagine someone to modify its profile somewhat: by its present length it might be used as a boning knife. I would therefore remove the remaining curve to have a pure triangle. Any thoughts?

It's not about experience, everyone had to start somewhere. This project is all about learning new things and pushing boundaries. you have an amazing amount of resources here to fall upon. you can do most everything by hand and you can make it into anything you want. you can re-imagine yourself and the knife. HaHa!

What sort of resources would be needed to complete this you'd think?

I'm in love with it. But i have no experiance before, and to then undertake it on a knife that has some serious meaning to you, that would feel like some real wrong-doing.
I know how much these gifts mean. I recently got a 75 year old book with alot of information, an original by Karl Blunck, chef at the Savoy. This will say nothing to you, but it was one of the best places in Sweden in the 30's. This i got from the older cook in the real kitchen. (Our school is next to a hotel with rooms for companies to educate their employees in, can't figure out the english word for it.)
This gift means more than the actual book itself. As said, it's a sign of hope and respect.

Not to mention the fact that i would be unable to rehandle it if it's needed.

That said - i will not be a taker for this, probably not even one that doesn't have any - real - sentimental meaning. But i really like that you put it out there, and that you give people a chance to experience these. It can't be said enough, you really are a great person.

Please let me know if I'm in error, but the work on the last Nogent could be restrained to thinning, polishing and sharpening the blade. The ebony handle should stay as it is. I could however imagine someone to modify its profile somewhat: by its present length it might be used as a boning knife. I would therefore remove the remaining curve to have a pure triangle. Any thoughts?

the proposition Is that you can do what ever you want to this knife, to give it a new useable life. I only require that you do a wip and let us know what your intentions are with this knife, whether you plan to use it or give it to an up an coming cook or an old timer who would appreciate it. If you agree to the terms I will give you the knife to do as you will. Try the knife out with the curve first it might surprise you at how nimble it is.

i'll take it if no one else has yet.

I will however not keep it for myself. This is a knife that deserves to be owned by a chef (which i am not) and i know that Candlejack is one (but he does not have access to the tools needed).
I'll do my best to restore the blade and keep the handle and will then pass it on to him to use in his professional life which is just starting out.

If this is ok, then i'll be happy to give it a try.

Thanks

Edit; i now understand benuser might be first on the ball. If that faalls through i am interested.

benuser has this one, but over the course of the next few months there will be more. just wait. i got you guys covered

The first impression the Nogent was almost overwhelming, probably by its apparently basic triangular form. Once you have a better look at it you realise it isn't that basic at all: there's a nice curve without the traditional flat area near the heel. Probably the first grinder after the kitchen incident Son has referred to got rid of it. In fact he did a great job: there's a remarkable distal taper: at 1cm from the heel the spine measures some 4.5mm; at 1cm from the tip 0.8mm.
My intention was to use the Nogent as a one and only knife in my humble home kitchen to evaluate it's possibilities before any geometry change. The edge was very rounded and at 0.5cm behind the edge I found a thickness of 1.5mm. The edge itself felt like butter after years of steeling. Once some steel being removed there appeared an extremely aggressive edge. The steel has a relatively coarse grain, something like tool steel, that can be polished without losing its bite.
Because of the thickness I decided to abandon the traditional symmetry and moved the edge to the left side. I flattened the convex left side somewhat and convexed the right one a little. The very edge measures 12/15 degree with a 70/30 proportion (right / left). Just sharpening at one side only and deburring the other one. This kind of edge will encounter less friction and therefore hold a much lower angle.

I'm a little uncertain about further thinning behind the edge. As said the thickness I found was some 1.5mm at 0.5cm. I've removed the half of it, and hesitate as I don't want to prejudice the actual performant edge. I must add that the tip area is already very nimble and I don't want it to get really fragile. Any thoughts?

I totally missed this thread before, hell I probably wasn't a member when it started. But it's great. Thank you Son for all your great stories and giving these knives an opportunity to have a new or continued life.
Benuser, your progress looks awesome. Have you tried it out yet, without thinning out the blade anymore? Cleaned up any primal cuts?
Can't wait to see more wips, maybe I'll get my hands on one someday.

If it works on your hand it does not need to be changed.

I totally missed this thread before, hell I probably wasn't a member when it started. But it's great. Thank you Son for all your great stories and giving these knives an opportunity to have a new or continued life.
Benuser, your progress looks awesome. Have you tried it out yet, without thinning out the blade anymore? Cleaned up any primal cuts?
Can't wait to see more wips, maybe I'll get my hands on one someday.
I must say my first attemps with this knife where very strange, as I had to change all my habits because of its profile. Pushing where you were pulling and vice-versa.

I think it looks great. fun knife and great history
enjoy

Nice. Looks almost like a honesuki. :)

Thank you, guys!
A honesuki? Sure, I will continue with the present asymmetry till I encounter some wedging or steering issue. Then a few strokes more on the left side will do.

Back