Why I do what I do.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What a great thread and close to my heart but for me it was always old English tools which can be brought for pennies at "car boot sales" over here in the UK. I never looked for knives preferring tools but am sure you can pick up old English knives for very little. If I got to any this year I'll see what I can find, are there makers/names to look out for as these things are relatively plentiful over here?

What a great thread and close to my heart but for me it was always old English tools which can be brought for pennies at "car boot sales" over here in the UK. I never looked for knives preferring tools but am sure you can pick up old English knives for very little. If I got to any this year I'll see what I can find, are there makers/names to look out for as these things are relatively plentiful over here?

Old sheffields are the one i know about!

I believe you guys are entitled to an update.
The Nogent's tip had become extremely weak and couldn't be sharpened anymore, due to the irregular spine, years of steeling and heavy thinning. I lowered the tip by abrading some material from the spine under an angle of 15 degree. The angle the tip makes between edge and spine was doubled. The loss of length along the edge is less than 3 milimeters.
It took me some time to get used to the new appearance, but a strong tip is more in accordance with the character of Chef's Nogent.

[img=http://s19.postimage.org/t591u40wv/Nogent_tp3.jpg]

I've been looking for old English knives for a while but no success finding anything of quality, when I ask people the response has to do with climbing their corpse first.
Annoying when they are in need of a regrind and sharpen from years of steeling or pull through 'sharpeners'. At least let me fix it so it performs how it should

I love getting these vintage pieces cleaned up enough for everyday use be keeping their history intact. Keep up the good work Son :)

Hey guys my name is Mike. I just acquired my first antique knife and came across this thread. I have a Gregory Bros Cutlers knife thats hand forged. I have zero information about the company, it's age, and value. Here are pictures of the knife. I would really appreciate it if anyone could help.
PS. sorry for bringing this thread back from the dead but it's the only one that exists on the internet with a Gregory Brothers knife.
http://www.iknifecollector.com/forum/topics/gregory-bros-cutlers-sheffield

Welcome, Mike! As a matter of fact, I can't see the pictures. Perhaps you should use an image host like postimage.org and post here the link they provide.

Hey guys my name is Mike. I just acquired my first antique knife and came across this thread. I have a Gregory Bros Cutlers knife thats hand forged. I have zero information about the company, it's age, and value. Here are pictures of the knife. I would really appreciate it if anyone could help.
PS. sorry for bringing this thread back from the dead but it's the only one that exists on the internet with a Gregory Brothers knife.
http://www.iknifecollector.com/forum/topics/gregory-bros-cutlers-sheffield

Don't have any information for you, but I really like that knife. Someone here will know something.

did a bit of googling, here's what I found.

They operate out of a historic industrial building called "the beehive works" in Sheffield England. Not sure when Gregory Bros. was founded, but In 1968, Gregory Brothers cutlery merged with a company called Joseph Fenton cutlery (which was founded in 1795), and they became Gregory Fenton Ltd, which is apparently still in business, but doesn't seem to have a website.

That should get you started.

Thank you for responding. I also found the information you presented as well. What puzzles me the most is every Gregory Brothers knife I have seen has the Bee Hive logo on it. Mine does not and is stamped hand forged. I'm beginning to believe my knife may have been produced when Gregory Brothers first opened business predating their merge with Gregory Fenton and the Bee Hive Works. Possibly early 1800's.

Hello, Mike
I actually think your knife does predate the Beehive works by about 10 to 20 years.The beeHive works began around the 1850's and was worked on until the 1890"s. Gregory bros. merged with Fenton in 1968 and most of their lines where discontinued by the 80"s. Your blade is very reminiscent of the 1850"s through the turn of the century. It was a quite common design butcher/trapper trade knife era. My Gregory Brother chef knife was made around the late 1880"s if I remember correctly and it already had the bee hive on it.

they are not particular valuable. Unfortunately, folks just don't value quality as much as they used to and the merger with Fenton really wasn't the best decision. The quality began to suffer and the reputation also. there are very few collectors of old Gregory Bros work, it is a very narrow area of collectibles. I would say on a very good day between $50-$75 .

Thank you so much. I was going to sell if it it's value was high but now I'm adding it to my knife collection. This will be my first antique knife. The history behind it intrigues me so much! Thank you again!

Here is the next challenge. it is simple gently restore this beautiful slicer. This is one of my favorite knives. I love the feel and texture of the handle. the copper birds eyes rivets, The ancient British Oak handle and the gorgeous lines of the 12 in blade. It is a masterpiece of the knife makers art. The knife was made on the late 1800's probably 1880's by the Gregory Bros cutlery company. They moved to the Bee hive works in Sheffield , England I do believe in the 1870's or 80's. They have been in business since the 1820's. they were bought out by Fenton in 1968 and became Gregory Fenton something. Like most acquisitions quality suffered and most of what they make is **** now, When this was made Sheffield was at the peak of their game and were world renowned for the quality of their blades and steel. This is something you won't see. It is rare, both in quality and quantity, It very well may have been made for a top hotel or country estate. It is quintessentially British in design, as is evident by the bird's head handle. for some reason higher end British Blades always had saber shaped handles . The handle I have been told was made from old ,now non-existent British Oak. It has a character that I have never seen or felt. It is magnificent. It has handmade patinated copper bird's eye rivets, not corby bolts. The blade is beautifully proportioned from virgin carbon steel and hand forged by a master smith. It is a 12 in razor. There is a gradual distal taper both in the blade and the tang. It balances just forward of the bolster. Did I mention how magnificent this knife is. It need a very gentle restoration. it is perfectly useable and beautiful now, but if you want to use it professionally, which I would, it needs some tlc.
So, same deal as the Sabatier if you are willing to take on this project, provide a wip and let us know what you did or are doing with this knife, I will give it to you. I need to pass on these things, as I have so many projects that I can never get them done. Have fun. son

View attachment 4692

View attachment 4693

View attachment 4694

View attachment 4695

View attachment 4696

View attachment 4697

View attachment 4698

View attachment 4699

View attachment 4700

View attachment 4701

View attachment 4702

View attachment 4703

View attachment 4704

View attachment 4705

View attachment 4706

View attachment 4707

View attachment 4708

View attachment 4709

View attachment 4710

View attachment 4711

View attachment 4712

View attachment 4713

View attachment 4714

View attachment 4715

Hi Son

I realise that this is resurecting an old thread.

I am a researcher, collector and custodian of Australian Military knives.

I found this thread by chance while looking for information on Gregory Brothers. What caught my

attention about this knife is that it carries an Australian Military acceptance mark D/I\D which

indicates that it was issued to the Australain Army at some stage.

To date I have not included Kitchen Cutlery on my web page. This I am in the process of rectifying.

While not as glamorous as fighting knives, kitchen cutlery probably played a greater role in any

Military operation than is given credit for. After all it was the kitchen cutlery in the hands of the

Bait Layers (cooks) that got the Diggers (aussie soldiers) fed. The simple KFS (Knife, fork and spoon)

set was probably as close as most diggers got to handling a knife during their service. Frankly, I take

my hat off to the Army cooks in war zones that worked under incredible hardships to keep our diggers

fed.

Do you still have this knife?
Am I able to get photo's of it for my web page?
Do you know anythingf about the history of this knife?

Regards Dutchy

@Dutchy357 , maby sending Son a PM would make more sense since you are asking him a quite specific question - he will most likely get a notification about that. He has been last time on KKF about a month ago, so he may miss your question

Back