Media Why is this guy a knucklehead?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some interesting points of view here. I've never bought from Mark, I probably never will because he has pretty outrageous shipping charges, especially when I counter in that I'd possibly have to return a faulty item.

Does anyone think that perhaps one of the problems he has is that his company has grown too fast?

I understand the issues he has on the knife posted in this thread, but I do have to say, I don't feel its fair to judge a company on an issue if you don't tell them about it (leads back to my initial question, maybe hes just selling too many damn knives to keep up the QC)

Its just like in a restaurant, if you don't like the food, but you don't tell anyone, can you really complain about it?

I don't know, maybe I'm ignorant and most of the people who give him reviews are, but how can he get so many good reviews if he really has that poor a service?

I've sent him a number of tedious questions over the last twelve months. I've noticed his replies have gone from fairly in depth, helpful answers, to posting in a public forum, almost wanting other people to answer, to giving you one sentence answers purely of his opinion.

I think the issue with the photos posted in this thread is that they are the result of the knife having been individually handled + sharpened. Not just taking a box off the shelf and shipping it. So the vendor already saw the knife and shipped it anyway. I think you do have a point though.

"Some interesting points of view here. I've never bought from Mark, I probably never will...."

I've sent him a number of tedious questions over the last twelve months. I've noticed his replies have gone from fairly in depth, helpful answers, to posting in a public forum, almost wanting other people to answer, to giving you one sentence answers purely of his opinion."

rdm, I don't imagine any vendor would be inclined to continue to provide detailed, personalized answers to "a number of tedious questions" asked over the course of a year without some kind of return on his time investment. Yet, you seem surprised?

"I don't know, maybe I'm ignorant and most of the people who give him reviews are..."

I'm not trying to sound condescending, but you may be on to something there....:scratchhead:
The point is that this guy is a "knucklehead" based on the observation that he is using a biased 'review' as advertising without disclosing his relationship with the vendor. Let's try to wrap this up if it's just going to devolve into an "us vs. them" argument.

I will say, though, that a lot of quality vendors here on this forum (HHH, Devin, Pierre, Harner) also sell through him. They don't get the fancy pumped up reviews, but I also recognize that it is another outlet for them to sell knives and make a living. I can't argue with a lot of what has been posted, but I also ask you to realize that in threads like this, amazing knife friends are having to hold their tongues and stay silent. I'm just saying.

Bad product is bad product. It should be fixed somehow. And crap reviews are another thing too. IMO one of the worst things to come out of the KF fiasco was that knife videos and reviews were commercialized. I no longer trust videos as much and would think twice before I would do one myself. The best knife videos were 3-6 years ago. The day Salty yanked his videos was one of the worst days for knife knuts -- and it has been replaced by what we have here.

k.

I too understand that a number of vendors here sell through him. And, I'm sure that some of the vendors here have had to deal with him when it comes to QC issues for their knives that were sold through his site.

When I'm ready to take the plunge to buy a knife from one of our makers, I'm going straight to the source. I personally hope that each and every vendor here has had more success selling directly to members than through this site by selling directly to customers than having him take his cut as the middleman.

And, I hope that each member here goes directly through the manufacturer here instead of through him. Might as well deal directly with the vendor, give them personal business and likely more profit.

As for videos, I don't even bother watching them anymore. Reviews? I only pay attention to the reviews of certain people. Who does the review has become more important than anything, IMHO.

"rdm, I don't imagine any vendor would be inclined to continue to provide detailed, personalized answers to "a number of tedious questions" asked over the course of a year without some kind of return on his time investment. Yet, you seem surprised?"

This response cracks me up because this response is so emblematic of people who give bad customer service and goes to the heart of this thread. And, ultimately, Mark likely lost a customer (rdm_magic) because he didn't want to keep answering rdm_magic's questions.

I'm in a service industry and I can't count how many times I've answered question after question for free. Over the course of a year? You bet. But, has it ultimately resulted in more business? You bet.

And, this is a major difference that I've personally experienced between him and the vendors I've dealt with here. We have MUCH better vendors who generally take LOTS of time answering questions. And, I've given my business to the people who have constantly answered the questions I've had, especially when I was starting out learning about knives and knew basically nothing.

So, to rdm_magic, hang around here for a while. Talk to the vendors here. Learn a lot, and buy some great knives. To the person who responded in that manner to rdm_magic's post, stay in that other forum. Do some videos for Mark. And stay out of customer service. You would be rather terrible at it.

makes me wonder if the guy that made the vid has already read about this thread. lol.

Okay, I said I was out.....
....but let me clear something up.
I bought this knife probably 9 months ago. I sent an email to Mr. R that included the same pics I have shared with you guys. I told him about the overgrind and the horrendous "finishing" job by Mr. *********. I had already fixed the knife to my satisfaction at that time and told him I did not require any compensation, etc. I just wanted to make him aware of the issue/problem. He replied that he would "beat Shaun with a barber's strop" the next time he saw him, and I left it at that.
However, this guy still works for him. This guy even has his own line of knives distributed through the company. I have even seen other photos of his work that look equal to my knife that some people praise!
I leave the blame with Mr. R for trying to pass a knife like that on to anyone-ANYONE, whether they are a pro or a novice. THAT is a bad business practice.
I refuse to do business with this person because of this.
The original topic of this thread is "Why is this guy a knucklehead?"
I think my photos explained that.
If you don't believe me, send your honyaki (this is not directed toward anyone) to him for some sharpening.
I hope it doesn't meet Mr. belt sander.

My first thought when seeing this....."I wonder if his Mom knows what he's getting up to in her kitchen?" :D

[video=youtube;Oh8LZmVBrYw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oh8LZmVBrYw&list=UU-6H6bsZWcbeaPX2wU4pFjg&index=19[/video]

Its just like in a restaurant, if you don't like the food, but you don't tell anyone, can you really complain about it?

You dont need to complain, you just dont come back.

I dont find sense in that sentence. You meant food is great just not up to your taste or somethings wrong with it?

If I go to a restaurant, theres certain level of expectations already[compared to bistro/brasserie], if I get served stale bread you think I would complain over it? In the same place butter is disgustingly warm.
Is the chef a fool to overlook such a simple things?
No, he doesnt care, I like to think. In that case I dont come back. Ever again.

So ask yourself are you going to the restaurant and spend your money to teach them better, or to expect certain level of service?
Similarly, any vendor makes living from sales. That means he serves customers, be it answering questions, or checking products.

I dont find sense in that sentence. You meant food is great just not up to your taste or somethings wrong with it?

If I go to a restaurant, theres certain level of expectations already[compared to bistro/brasserie], if I get served stale bread you think I would complain over it? In the same place butter is disgustingly warm.

So ask yourself are you going to the restaurant and spend your money to teach them better, or to expect certain level of service?
Similarly, any vendor makes living from sales. That means he serves customers, be it answering questions, or checking products.
+1
Well put.
Exactly how I feel about it.

This response cracks me up because this response is so emblematic of people who give bad customer service and goes to the heart of this thread.
To the person who responded in that manner to rdm_magic's post, stay in that other forum. Do some videos for Mark. And stay out of customer service. You would be rather terrible at it.

Really Michael? Do you know my customer service record? When you do, p.m. me and we can discuss it. Until then, try not to be so pretentious. Thanks.

Like I said, let's keep it on track.

makes me wonder if the guy that made the vid has already read about this thread. lol.

My Youtube analytic page shows me where my videos are embedded and are getting plays from as does his.

The point is that this guy is a "knucklehead" based on the observation that he is using a biased 'review' as advertising without disclosing his relationship with the vendor. Let's try to wrap this up if it's just going to devolve into an "us vs. them" argument.

I don't care what I'm asking you, if you're selling something and I'm even considering buying, you should be trying your damn hardest to make the sale. The fact that it make take a while to buy something shouldn't mean that I don't get good answers when I'm talking about placing a $600 order.

I'm talking about something being wrong with it. Your risotto is underseasoned, your steak is overcooked or whatever.

Maybe you never do go back, but if you don't inform someone you aren't happy, how can they improve?

Maybe the chefs a fool, maybe hes stupid. Maybe he thinks steaks should be served well done, maybe he thought his risotto was seasoned properly. If no-one ever tells him otherwise, he can't modify his behavior.

I stand by my statement that if you don't complain, or even mention an issue you have with something, be it a meal, a knife, a car, whatever, then you in turn can't complain to other people about it. Give someone a chance to fix a problem before you write them off.

Just maybe it was an honest mistake, and they would fix it in an instant.

Also, his page says that he is 'Powered by: Chef Knives To Go'. He has a link to the site on his page. He makes no secret that hes affiliated with the site IMO.

Let's not let those salesmen over there get between us good folks here....please. :)

Agreed. Lets put this to rest, and join together again in our mutual dislike of a certain Guy named Fieri:D

Hey! Guy Fieri is F-ing awesome! He does awesome research to select only the most awesome places to take his awesome show! He takes all the awesome stuff he learns and uses it in his awesome Times Square restaurant in awesome New York City!

Dammit, I need to bleach my awesome hair and rent an awesome convertible!

Hey! Guy Fieri is F-ing awesome! He does awesome research to select only the most awesome places to take his awesome show! He takes all the awesome stuff he learns and uses it in his awesome Times Square restaurant in awesome New York City!

Dammit, I need to bleach my awesome hair and rent an awesome convertible!

If you did something that awesome, it would be totally AWESOME! But only if you did it in the most EXTREMELY AWESOME , TOTALLY KICK A$$, WICKED RIGHTOUS manner! Otherwise, you'd just come off looking like a humongous D-bag. Wait- maybe I have that mixed up...

guy.jpg

mhlee

The truth is that and there is no president for it as far as I know. It's certainly not me. GFY!

I'm sorry you had some bad experiences with Mark. Sounds like you did well to start shopping elsewhere.

Good luck!

This is a clear sign of when a person is obviously losing an argument.

This is the best part of this thread, and I read every post. Maybe Guy should have been chosen for Total Recall remake- at least the acting would have been better

I win the thread!!! :bliss:

Back