Media Why is this guy a knucklehead?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will not attempt to totally derail this thread since I am such a newbie to this forum, but can we quickly discuss how a buyer newbie (such as myself) might attempt to fix a knife like the example given by knerd in the event we bought it? Would it be possible?

In the photo, I see what mhlee is referring to - the bevel is inconsistent, doesn't reach the heel, thicker and then thinner from heel to tip, etc. What can one glean from the way the reflection of the light separates as it goes from heel to tip? Is this indicative of over or undergrind? Camera flash? Imagined?

As always, appreciate the insight and time invested in newbies. My first thought when I looked at that knife was oh crap, whats wrong with it, and why doesn't the screamingly obvious error scream at me like it does to everyone else in this forum.

Sorry for taking offense Paradox. I don't want to turn you off from KKF. We are all entitled to our opinions. We also have the right to get grumpy! This isn't the 1st time for me!
Cheers, if you didn't live so far away, I'd buy you a beer or a lapdance!

I'm not turned off of KKF. There is a lot great stuff here sometimes you just have to put aside the childish crap to get to it. You find that on almost every forum on the internet though.

I'm still not really clear on your specific issue, did you try to have it made right? Regardless of who the vendor is, if you didn't give the vendor a chance to make it right then you just don't really have a leg to stand on in my book when you trash them for it. If you think that makes me being douchey to you.. Oh well. Won't be the first time for that on the internet either. ;)

I'm revoking the lapdance offer.
And the beer will be Miwaukee's Best Ice.

I will not attempt to totally derail this thread since I am such a newbie to this forum, but can we quickly discuss how a buyer newbie (such as myself) might attempt to fix a knife like the example given by knerd in the event we bought it? Would it be possible?

In the photo, I see what mhlee is referring to - the bevel is inconsistent, doesn't reach the heel, thicker and then thinner from heel to tip, etc. What can one glean from the way the reflection of the light separates as it goes from heel to tip? Is this indicative of over or undergrind? Camera flash? Imagined?

As always, appreciate the insight and time invested in newbies. My first thought when I looked at that knife was oh crap, whats wrong with it, and why doesn't the screamingly obvious error scream at me like it does to everyone else in this forum.

These were just my observations and I am, by no means, even close to as knowledgeable about knives are as others. But, what I'll communicate is what I've learned based on my own experiences and from taking with others who are much more knowledgeable than me.

If the grind is consistent, then the bevel can be fixed by sharpening. It could have been just a bad sharpening job. But, if the grind is bad and there is an overgrind, how bad of an overgrind will determine whether it can be repaired. If it is a small overgrind, I believe that you can potentially regrind the face of the knife to make it consistent, i.e. essentially a thinning job on the face of the knife. But, that's a BIG job. If it's a bad overgrind, there may be nothing you can do about it, e.g. Moritakas.

You're definitely right that some of the issues could simply be a product of the photo. (I thought the same myself, and was the reason why I said that there appear/seem to be problems with the grind.)

It's not the photo
IMG_4634.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_4632.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_4631.jpg
[/IMG]
Overgrind issue and really really awful sharpening job from the guy in the video.

Dave, I know it isn't you birthday..........
......but :butbutbut::nutskick::dance::hbday:
Okay, I'm off this thread.
Peace

mhlee

The truth is that and there is no president for it as far as I know. It's certainly not me. GFY!

I'm sorry you had some bad experiences with Mark. Sounds like you did well to start shopping elsewhere.

Good luck!

As for the opening thread. When you have a really sharp knife and it may stick in the board you wont need to push as hard as he does when he gets to the back of the blade. I'm sorry if doing a video you want to know exactly what you are getting in for. He should have cut with it before hand, and fixed it so he had no problems. I think he did sharpen it first, and is just using the person before as a scapegoat.

Ouch. I didn't notice the overgrind near the tip.

In those pictures, the bevel on the heel area seems to be more of a product of a thick grind, than overgrind? Am I seeing that correctly?

There's a decent chance the wavy bevel is purely inconsistencies in the blade's actual grind. I wouldn't be surprised if the knife has multiple overgrinds, and was sharpened on a jig, or sander with an angle set on it. With all if that being said, I've dealt with Mark a few times and I've always been pleased with the way things went about. I don't think he's out to screw anyone, but this is his way of making a living. It's a tough balancing act, and I'm glad I'm not directly involved with the situation.

As for how to fix this issue (which was asked), you'd have to fix the grind of the knife, by matching the high and low spots along the knife. In other words, you'd have to thin the whole knife, reset a bevel and start all over. It's a pain in the ass.

Wow, the thread has gotten out of hand, so I am sure it will be locked fairly soon. Salty, great comment. I used to ride the hound.

Knyfe, I applaud the olive branch extended -- too bad that same branch was inserted into your back end.

k.

mhlee

The truth is that and there is no president for it as far as I know. It's certainly not me. GFY!

I'm sorry you had some bad experiences with Mark. Sounds like you did well to start shopping elsewhere.

Good luck!

What "truth" are you talking about now?

And yes, I am doing much better shopping elsewhere. That's why I'm here. My choice was not made because of emotion or "sides" - my choice was made based on the people who had/would sell me good products and provide good customer service.

Looking at the video, if it was impartial it would be a good video, but it most certainly isn't. This guy has his own line of knives for that vendor, so he is far from neutral. I some ways it is actually a pretty decent video, but it is flawed from the start because he is basically a salesman.

Wow, the thread has gotten out of hand, so I am sure it will be locked fairly soon. Salty, great comment. I used to ride the hound.

Knyfe, I applaud the olive branch extended -- too bad that same branch was inserted into your back end.

k.

I stole it from Halston. Old people into fashion will know who that is.

He also made a "review" video of his own knife
Man he has made 74 vids so far, I just unlearned how to cut onions watching his "how to juliene onions" what a cringing experience.
I think he may get the record for most vids in the knuckelhead thread if more people see his stuff.

i love kkf. it gives me views from many sides. i've honestly haven't bought any knives from mark. i've bought practically from everyone else though. lol. i've bought stones though. i think the guy's only being mostly careful with his international buyers since there's gonna be the shipping problems for the most part.

Send it to Dave or Jon. Or spend a lot of trial-and-error time on the stones trying to grind a single bevel out of the many, many bevels that currently comprise the "edge."

I've bought things from Mark; I admit it. I even once sent a knife back to Dave in one of 'his' boxes as a joke. Sorry Dave.

I will say, though, that a lot of quality vendors here on this forum (HHH, Devin, Pierre, Harner) also sell through him. They don't get the fancy pumped up reviews, but I also recognize that it is another outlet for them to sell knives and make a living. I can't argue with a lot of what has been posted, but I also ask you to realize that in threads like this, amazing knife friends are having to hold their tongues and stay silent. I'm just saying.

Bad product is bad product. It should be fixed somehow. And crap reviews are another thing too. IMO one of the worst things to come out of the KF fiasco was that knife videos and reviews were commercialized. I no longer trust videos as much and would think twice before I would do one myself. The best knife videos were 3-6 years ago. The day Salty yanked his videos was one of the worst days for knife knuts -- and it has been replaced by what we have here.

k.

Well observed K, thanks for pointing that out.

It's things like this that gets my goat. Many vids. out there the guy says one thing while something totally different is going on. For that reason I ended up coining the phrase I got off this book.

515CJsj8ywL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Some interesting points of view here. I've never bought from Mark, I probably never will because he has pretty outrageous shipping charges, especially when I counter in that I'd possibly have to return a faulty item.

Does anyone think that perhaps one of the problems he has is that his company has grown too fast?

I understand the issues he has on the knife posted in this thread, but I do have to say, I don't feel its fair to judge a company on an issue if you don't tell them about it (leads back to my initial question, maybe hes just selling too many damn knives to keep up the QC)

Its just like in a restaurant, if you don't like the food, but you don't tell anyone, can you really complain about it?

I don't know, maybe I'm ignorant and most of the people who give him reviews are, but how can he get so many good reviews if he really has that poor a service?

I've sent him a number of tedious questions over the last twelve months. I've noticed his replies have gone from fairly in depth, helpful answers, to posting in a public forum, almost wanting other people to answer, to giving you one sentence answers purely of his opinion.

Back