WIP: First Yanagiba Fix

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started looking at finishes. I can still see 1k or coarser scratches that I never took out so I'll have to go back down in grit but here's the finish left by an 8k superstone (toward the heel) and a Kitayama 8k (adjacent to the superstone finish). At this point, the tip area was polished only up to 5k. One wierd thing I noticed is it seems that rust seemed to form quicker using the Kit. I didn't notice any rust formation using the SS.
SS8k-Kit.jpg

Very good job indeed man. From what it was until what it became now, its huge difference and amount of your job.
But I have to say, that i would prefer to buy new knife as this one looks dead. I dont know how somebody can possibly damage a knife that way, especially back, but the wavy front bothers me also? how could you get that much metal of with only stone[I mean before you repaired it]?

But I have to say, that i would prefer to buy new knife as this one looks dead. I dont know how somebody can possibly damage a knife that way, especially back, but the wavy front bothers me also? how could you get that much metal of with only stone[I mean before you repaired it]?

Yeah, the damage is confusing to me, too. I can see how the front was damaged (and I didn't do the greatest job on it either) but the back side doesn't really make sense. It took many sharpenings to accomplish, I'm sure. For me, this was a learning experience while at the same time doing a good deed. :biggrin:

Here's probably the last pics I'll post on this. I finished with Belgian coticule and then Takashima Awasedo from Jon both 8k+ stones. It looks like the contrast on both is better than the Kit and probably the Takashima is a little better than the coticule but it's close. I'll add that I love the smell of damp earth from using natural stones. It adds a little something to the meditative experience... :disturb:

Coticule.jpgTakeshima.jpg

You did excellent job, if you think that correcting up after others is the hardest job.
I wonder how sharp can this knife get?
I mean Jon written somewhere that too much grinding on Ura and performance will actually decrease.
So how is it?

You did excellent job, if you think that correcting up after others is the hardest job.
I wonder how sharp can this knife get?
I mean Jon written somewhere that too much grinding on Ura and performance will actually decrease.
So how is it?

Thanks for giving me the benefit of the doubt. I wish I could answer your question but I have no idea what this knive was ever capable of (It could be a $50 junker for all I know.). I will say that it is easy to sharpen and takes a very nice edge, like every carbon steel I've tried. The guy I sharpened it for is a pro so I never really tried to push the edge to extreme sharpness but more for what Jon and others have described for a typical sushi chef ie toothy 5-8k finish. I put a pretty large angle on the microbevel based on the amount of damage it seemed to be taking. When I got it back, he said the knife had never been that sharp so I guess he wouldn't know either. I will say that the edge made it through an entire week (I don't know what his volume is like.) and he said it was still cutting satisfactorily. When I looked at it closely, it did show some microchipping about 1/3 of the way down the blade from the tip (this is where it was badly overground, initially) and the edge had rolled a little in some places toward the back of the knife. In the end, he's happy with the job I'm doing so I guess that's really what matters. In retrospect, I would have done a few things differently but I still feel that I understand a lot better now how to maintain this style of knife than I did before. Again, big thanks to Jon even though I didn't always follow his suggestions. He took a lot of the guess work out of the process.

Latest posts

Back