Wooden kitchen utensils - What do you use/like?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wooden utensils are a must if you use tinned copper pots and pans. i like berard olive wood spoons and spatulas.

I have several different gerard utensils and love them. Get three spoons in different lengths (10", 12", and 14"). The pointed spoon might be nice too.

With that said, I am not sure they will last a lifetime. I've snapped one making a dough, chopped one in a vitamin, and set another one on fire. I use them every time I cook.

k.

now want a spurtle.......*sigh*......$$$

I would not know what to do without my wooden spoons and spatulas. I have a couple of wooden spoons that I have had for so long the spoon portion has developed a 45 degree angled tip like some spatulas.

I have several different gerard utensils and love them. Get three spoons in different lengths (10", 12", and 14"). The pointed spoon might be nice too.

With that said, I am not sure they will last a lifetime. I've snapped one making a dough, chopped one in a vitamin, and set another one on fire. I use them every time I cook.

k.

Just FYI, meant 'Berard' not gerard and Vitamix not vitamin.

Also that spurtle looks cool. I didn't see that part of the thread.

k.

@Erilyn75: thanks for posting the pics and sources. Gives me good ideas on what I want!

This thread need more pcitures :)
Here's a picture of a ladle I am very tempted to get

13zmrti.jpg

k.

The flat edged/pointed spoon is what I use the most. I wouldn't rely on any wooden tool to last a life time, if it actually gets used, but they are cheap enough for it to not matter. I also use mine every time I cook, just about, and I've also set one on fire, when it slipped, un-noticed, close to a burner. I scraped off the char and still use that spoon.

The spurtle is pretty great. It's the most used tool in my kitchen other than my knife. I even got my little ones their very own mini spurtles so they can help in the kitchen. My 2.5 year old already uses his to help stir batters. There are 3 different makers, each differently designed. My new one should be arriving within the next few days so ill have to post a pic when I get it.

I have quite a few only because I want to make sure I have them because you never know if the craftsman passed down his art to another to continue making them. I did the same with Nigella Lawson's mini whisks too, another favorite tool. Glad I did because you can't find them anymore.

I'm sure spurtles are efficient tools but apart from that I appreciate how gorgeous they are in a sculptural way.

Just looked it up online and the spurtle is listed as a Scots kitchen tool dating from the 15th Century. Och aye!

Huh, I've been using a (bamboo, I think) thing for a while that I really like, but have always called a spatula. It's not that different in shape from a spurtle, but it has holes in it which I suppose is so things don't stick or something, but mostly they just get clogged with food and are a pain to clean.

Anywho, now I have two spurtles on order from that etsy link. 27.10 each isn't so bad for something hand made.

aye, spurtles are great for making oatmeal. Just remember stirring clockwise, counterclockwise invites the devil into your home. Or something of that sort. I always make some sort of joke to my chef when I take over the risotto and finish it to the plate, (we are both of scottish heritage, and he is a lefty, I'm a righty, so he stirs counterclockwise). That Berard ladle is beautiful, would match my berard spoon/spatulas nicely.

Here is my custom spurtle in American Beech along with a little spurtle spreader in Cherry that they sent as a gift. Too cute!

f21ff705865cd5700be5178403cd8e96.jpg

I like them too, not so much the spoons, but there is one wooden......... Spatula really isn't the right word, but it has a flat edge set at an angle and it is a bit cupped. I bought one and then couldn't find any more. So I made a couple more from some Birdseye maple that didn't pass muster for knife handles. I love them. I have thought several times about offering them for sale, but getting wood in good quality that will stand up to the abuse of the kitchen and then the time to actually make them, I didn't know if I could sell them for enough.
I know maple and beech work well for this, it's getting some that has some interesting figure, like curly or Birdseye. I wonder if sycamore is a food safe wood? That can be interesting if you cut it right.
Maybe if there is enough interest I'll look into doing a run of these and some spurtles, if someone would be willing to loan me one, so I can get the design right.
Also, what would you guys think is a reasonable price for wooden utensils like this?
Del

I LOVE Birdseye. I've only got one in It because its not common to use for kitchen utensils I guess. I think it's beautiful.

The cheapest I've paid is $25, the most expensive was the Birdseye at $55. If you do decide to make a few, I have several so I can send you one. And if you decide to make another Birdseye or curly, I'd love to buy one lol.

Here's my meat browning spurtle. As you can see, it's gotten a lot of love over the years

5140a4a2812f5ef4e79b5c579acd59f4.jpg

d09ff0b11c2e6e7983aad34a0db87c29.jpg

I love wooden spoons. I'm a part of the bamboo crowd as well. They're nothing fancy, but I absolutely adore them all the same.

I'm a huge wooden spoon fan. I inherited a giant hundred year old risotto spoon that was bent and twisted in a dozen different directions just from sitting on the pot. I also got a couple big soup spoons from chef. Came to work one day and saw little tiny splinters of wood all over my kitchen. Apparently, my gm and one of the owners got into a cocaine and alcohol fueled drum session and destroyed all my spoons. They claimed they didn't remember a thing. The security video on the other hand tells a different story. I quit on the spot.
I carved the ones I'm currently using now when I was recuperating from my first heart surgery back in 2007. It gave me something to do while I was sitting in bed. ***** to clean up the wood chips though. These are roughly based on some Native American beliefs that all things have soul. Often times you feed the spoon before you feed yourself thus, the open mouths. Two of them are cherry wood and one is white birch.

spoons 001.jpg

spoons 002.jpg

spoons 003.jpg

spoons 004.jpg

spoons 005.jpg

spoons 006.jpg

spoons 007.jpg

spoons 008.jpg

spoons 009.jpg

spoons 010.jpg

I found one but, it is so long I can't get it all in the pic. I'll try later this week and see what I can do. It isn't carved though

I found one but, it is so long I can't get it all in the pic. I'll try later this week and see what I can do. It isn't carved though

Sounds like a fisherman's story Son! Ha Ha!

The largest wooden ladle/spatula I've ever seen by far were from India. It was at some Hindu festival I chanced upon in the 70s in Rajasthan. They were feeding tens of thousands of people, no exaggeration. There were banks of pots at the outdoor cooking area that were as large as the comic book pots that cannibals would use to cook a whole live human being in. The wooden stirrers were as large as oars!

Back