Work in Progess

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Marko, lovely work as always, really quality pieces there...:thumbsup:

Looking forward to seeing mine soon

Josh

Working this weekend on a bunch of handles, finishing up sayas for Dave (Hiromoto re-handle 4) and one cutting board in cherry. Pics to follow.

M

I have a knife/handle/saya coming from marko and a saya for a 300mm suji from hiro group buy #4. Do the Hiro sayas have to go back to dave to check for fit? If they dont I figured we could avoid shipping them all over the northeast and bundle them all together.

I have a knife/handle/saya coming from marko and a saya for a 300mm suji from hiro group buy #4. Do the Hiro sayas have to go back to dave to check for fit? If they dont I figured we could avoid shipping them all over the northeast and bundle them all together.

They need to go to Dave to check the fit. Dave should have them on Tue-Wed.

M

Ebony set for a Watanabe gyuto. Set looks jmuch darker in a real life. Too much light much in the room.

dsc1612l.jpg

dsc1613y.jpg

dsc1614.jpg

dsc1615w.jpg

M

Nice work, Marko. You're giving me ideas for a couple of knives I have that need handles and sayas.

Anything other WIP to show us?

Rick

I have to finish three sayas today-tomorrow, and then I will only work on handles. Mixing the two is not the most efficient way of doing things, and I am slow to begin with.

Your handle should be finished next week. I know, I say that every week, but this time I am pretty confident I will be able to finish it.

I also have a few boards in work. These are glued up. I need to crosscut them, re-glue and finish them.

Playing around with some other ideas and wood and metal but nothing concrete yet.

M

240mm Shigefusa kitaeji gyuto with Ironwood/horn/sterling silver spacer handle

DSC_1649.jpg
DSC_1650.jpg
DSC_1651.jpg
DSC_1652.jpg

Sterling silver, nice! Great piece of wood also, that's a great overall package with that knife.

Stefan

Thanks guys,
Sterling silver doesn't look very different than nickel silver when polished, but oxidizes more slowly. I actually messed up a block provided by a customer (and a silver spacer, probably $100 of materials), so this is a substitute from my own stash. Honey-brown horn finishes just a shade lighter than black.

M

Thanks guys,
Sterling silver doesn't look very different than nickel silver when polished, but oxidizes more slowly. I actually messed up a block provided by a customer (and a silver spacer, probably $100 of materials), so this is a substitute from my own stash. Honey-brown horn finishes just a shade lighter than black.

M

Ouch! I had a few very thin sterling pieces that were embossed (?) with some pattern (I think I still have a piece or two somewhere...). I used some good old JB Weld and laminated them onto a thicker piece of nickel silver and that made a still thin but decorative endcap. Once you sand over the gluing gap a little bit, it is hard to tell that there were two pieces, and the colors are as good as identical.

Stefan

Holy smokes, that is a work of art. The handle is exceptional and then that choil on the shig, the way it tapers down to the edge. Amazing knife and equally amazing handle!

Youre handles are getting better, and I didnt belive that was posible! :)

Looking forward to see pics of the Shig yanagiba you have in WIP. :D :D :D

Thanks guys,

M

So then...this isn't mine? :crying:

So then...this isn't mine? :crying:

It shouldn't be, if you are referring to a block I used, or what are you referring to? It is hard for me to keep track of forum handles and actual names of the owners. :)

Beautiful work as usual, the grain of the ironwood is so pretty.

I'm really glad i signed up for a kasumi 240, i know it's going to be a stunner.

It shouldn't be, if you are referring to a block I used, or what are you referring to? It is hard for me to keep track of forum handles and actual names of the owners. :)

I'm referring to the knife I have on order, which is also a 240mm Shigefusa kitaeji gyuto with Ironwood.

No, yours have a funky patina. However, it will look very similar, as I am using same materials.

M

Yeah it does, I'm the third owner and it has seen some use.

I'm looking forward to having it back!

Marko, knife arrived home today (posted from USA Friday, arrived Sydney Aus. Tues morn), and what a beauty. Great job. I particularly like the saya having no pin. As you slide the blade in, you feel it almost 'click' in over the last inch. Perfect fit & finish. Looks sleeker without a pin IMO.
Def worth the wait, Im a big fan!!

Thanks again,
Josh

Back