Work in Progess

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spalted ironwood, horn, nickel silver for 240mm gyuto

dsc1688e.jpg

dsc1687n.jpg

dsc1686.jpg

dsc1685t.jpg

dsc1684v.jpg

As I am getting better at symmetry and tolerance, I am still painfully slow at the production time. I apologize for the folks who have being waiting for a long time (hear me, Bao?).

M

Simple, just buy yourself a CNC machine, a high power laser, and a bigger computer, and there you go! Oh, and maybe some interns/apprentices!

BTW, really nice work!

Simple, just buy yourself a CNC machine, a high power laser, and a bigger computer, and there you go! Oh, and maybe some interns/apprentices!

BTW, really nice work!

I think this is an interesting philosophical debate. Using a CNC machine or being extremely diligent will produce pieces with exact geometry and perfect symmetry. But from my point of view, that is not what I am aiming for. Of course, I want handles symmetrical and with the best fit and finish, but I sometimes like them less if they are 'too perfect'. BTW, I am the same with my blades, I have no problems if they have small idiosyncrasies as long as they are not obvious flaws or affect functionality. I guess I like the small hints that show that a piece is made by hand. And just to make sure, I am mostly talking about little things that you will have to look for, not obvious problems or sloppiness. But for example, I intentionally don't measure my handles when I make them. They are purely a product of hand-eye coordination, and when they look good and feel good to me, I declare them 'done'. Of course, there isn't a right or wrong way to do this, I just had to think about this when Marko said he is getting better with symmetry - and I don't think I have ever seen an asymmetrical one from him before.

Stefan

I am not a big fan of automated setup, otherwise I would have liked Addict.

I use tools as much as I use my hands and my head. I do some things in unconventional way, but that is how I do everything. I like symmetry and high tolerance, but things I make can't compare to cnc- made, nor do I want to. computerized setup is good for some things, but not custom work.

M

First let me be very clear that I was being facetious! I do almost all of my work with hand tools, I only resort to electrickery stuff when it is necessary to compensate for my physical limitations. (the war, you know) Working from eye to hand is what gives life to our work.
I had to retire from the custom jewelry line just as the CNC stuff was beginning to get traction. I never could have done the work that I did with computer aided processes.
Your output may be limited by your process, but your work speaks for itself.

Hi Rick,
every time you see a new post in this thread, you must be wondering, if it is for your knife. Well, today is your day. Thanks for being patient. Will work on the saya shortly.

M

DSC_1691.jpg

DSC_1692.jpg

Hey Marko, earlier you posted a pin-less saya. Just curious, is that your standard method now or was that a custom option?

Hey Marko, earlier you posted a pin-less saya. Just curious, is that your standard method now or was that a custom option?

Shigefusa spine widens from about 3.5mm over the heel to 6.5mm at the handle, so I carve a channel into the cavity sides, so it locks the spine and prevents the knife from sinking into the saya, once sharpening shortens it.

However, the fit on my end might not be a permanent fit. Humidity, dryness can make wood move and affect a fit. I think for professionals who carry knives with them, I would make the saya with a pin.

This was experimental. To be on a safe side, I will make all sayas with pins.

M

Gotcha. My knife bag has very tight elastics on the knife handles and with my cardboard, magnetic, etc sheaths I have to be careful I don't pull the sheath off and run my fingers along the edge. The only one I don't have this problem with is my Hiro suji that has a saya from the group buy on it. I don't just yank on the saya, but I have to help the knife out a bit before I can get a grip on the handle and pull it out.

I can make a tight fit, but one has to be careful not to contaminate the saya cavity, as dust or abrasive particles if get in a cavity can put some ugly scratches on a knife. If one has this issue, one has to use blue masking tape over something flat, like a long ruler, with an adhesive side out. Stick it into a cavity and touch the walls, to pick up the contaminant. Canned air doesn't work.

M

Marko,

Your handles are absolutely stunning. I can't wait until it is my turn to send in my knife :) .

Awesome handle, Marko. That might be the most handsome piece of wood I've ever seen. If you find another chunk like that, I might have to buy a knife just to have the handle.

I've never heard cocobolo referred to as ironwood. I know that the term ironwood gets around, but I've never heard that one.

Which ironwood you are referring to, ironwood or cocobolo?
spalted ironwood. why? you like the cocobolo better? that one's nice too. i like (arizona?) ironwood in general though. I'd say most of the pieces i've seen for sale look pretty nice.

I've never heard cocobolo referred to as ironwood. I know that the term ironwood gets around, but I've never heard that one.

LOL, I meant "which block are you referring to...
Sorry for the confusion. I too never heard cocobolo referred as 'ironwood'

I might have another block of spalted Arizona Desert ironwood, but a bit different than on the handle posted on Thursday.

M

I am going to start posting a quick update on progress of custom work. I think this will make it a bit easier to monitor where I am work-wise.

Tomorrow finishing handles for
Bao x 2
Robert x 2
Ravi x 1

Prep work for handles this week (finish after sayas for the first batch are finished)
Sean x 1
Luka x 1
Vladimir x 1
Sergei x 1

Batch of Sayas
Bao x 2
Robert x 2
Rick x 1
Jason x 1
John x 1

Thanks for the patience guys. Pics to follow.

M

I knew I was missing somebody. John (JohnyChance), yours saya is also on the list.

M

Boy, I can't wait until my cutting board makes it to this WIP thread. :wink:

It is somewhere on your to do list isn't it, I hope, I hope, I hope.

Hehe me too! Not to put on any added pressure to the workload you already have, Marko. It's cool if you're too busy, but it would be awesome to have one of your boards.

Hehe me too! Not to put on any added pressure to the workload you already have, Marko. It's cool if you're too busy, but it would be awesome to have one of your boards.

Yes, boards list too.
Dan
heirbk
John
Person, whose name escapes me...

M

Back