Xmas gift for Japanese knife newb

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PG Wodehouse

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Im looking for a Christmas gift suggestion for my father. He's a home cook (was a cook in the army many moons ago). As far as I know he's never used a Japanese Knife, but is probably quite comfortable using a steel.

My preferred supplier is JCK or Amazon UK. I can't use ebay, JKI are super busy right now so I want to avoid them because I want to guarantee it arrives a week before xmas.

My requirement don't really fit the standard questions, but he's my criteria.

Cosmetic
A beautiful knife with a visual wow factor.
Look very Japanese ,no European writing on the knife.(not MAC or Global etc)
Scary sharp out of the box. I want him to say an expletive when he uses it first time.
Nicely presented. A really nice box perhaps.

Practicality
East to maintain in the short term with a steel (ceramic?). Its OK if it has to be sent to a pro sharper once a year
Robust as possible. I don't want him to have to treat it an ill infant.
General purpose, I guess that's a Santoku or a Gyuto?

Budget
250 USD (including ceramic steel) (OK Max 300)

Shipping
Ireland

Some of my requirements may be mutually exclusive, but I'll be grateful for every suggestion.

Thanks!

Yoshikane skd are very good. Epicurean edge has them, but I don't know if they will ship to you. You can get a gesshin ginga 210mm wa-handle in stainless that is very japanese looking and will cut like hell, but it will need to be babied a tad, nothing much really, just don't cut frozen food or bones. You can get those at JKI. Absolutely only use a ceramic rod on high hardness J-Knives.

If you want a knife that's tough, holds an edge for a long time, can be maintained on a rod (and doesn't need to be babied). I would definitely second the Yoshikane SKD recommendation.

Two suggestions:

1) I believe Randy @ HHH knives has not sold all of his pre-buy 240mm Gyuto's. Would fit into your budget & should be able to get it to you in ample time.

2) Get a hold of Mari @ Korin. They have some killer knives in all types of price ranges and should be able to ship to you in enough time for the holiday.

Hope this helps. Good luck & happy holidays.

That Yoshikane is a beautiful knife, but with an HRC of 64 (as per EE website) isn't it too hard to benefit from any kind of rod?

Since you don't already have the rod any chance your dad would be willing to take the knife to a finishing stone to maintain the edge instead of a ceramic steel?

That Yoshikane is a beautiful knife, but with an HRC of 64 (as per EE website) isn't it too hard to benefit from any kind of rod?

Since you don't already have the rod any chance your dad would be willing to take the knife to a finishing stone to maintain the edge instead of a ceramic steel?

No, Im think a sharpening stone is a step too far. Whats the max hardness you'd recommend for a rod only system with perhaps sending it to be professionally sharpened once a year ? He'll probably use 3 or 4 times a week.

There is no issue using a ceramic rod or glass on any of the knives that have been suggested. I have an Idahone "extra fine" ceramic, it works super even on my very hardest knives.

There is no issue using a ceramic rod or glass on any of the knives that have been suggested. I have an Idahone "extra fine" ceramic, it works super even on my very hardest knives.

Guess it depends on what your hardest knives are...my suggestion would be a nice hand held strop and teach him how to use it properly.

Guess it depends on what your hardest knives are...my suggestion would be a nice hand held strop and teach him how to use it properly.

66 + ZDP-189. I agree a strop would be a better way to go too but the ceramic hone will work.

Back