Yoshihiro anyone ?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got a 270 moly wa version last month. Great profile, asymmetric grind, pretty thin I can measure it tonight and light for a knife that big. It's the longest of my three 270's. I've been meaning to do a review of it just haven't had the time. I will next week fo sho.

Measurements and a description can be found at Japanese Knife Imports website.

I recently picked up a brand new but 2nd hand usuba from a member here. White 2 Yoshihiro 180 kamagata to be exact and I love it. Fit and Finish were good. Honestly for what you get I feel they are the best value around, from the wa-gyutos to the single bevels really well done knives for what you pay.

congrats

but it will be a hell to maintain...

Is this because a takobiki is harder to sharpen than a yanagiba? Or are you referring to single bevel knives in general or something else?

Is this because a takobiki is harder to sharpen than a yanagiba? Or are you referring to single bevel knives in general or something else?
If you maintain any knife to the level that bieniek does, they are all hell to maintain!
He's a little bit of a perfectionist.
He may have been referring to the length and likelihood of it curving/bending/warping.

if its ok for me to comment, i will say the ootb edges are so-so on the double bevels and slightly less on the single bevels (as is often the case with single bevel knives)

Since your a direct competitor, even if your honest-your opinion may be taken as biased. This is a forum for people who actually own a Yoshihiro knife with helpful comments.
Your ultimate interest conflicts with the interest of the questionnaire's. You may feel this may be unfair, but in your industry this is how it is.

Besides, I don't see Yoshihiro talking trash about your business anywhere.

Since your a direct competitor, even if your honest-your opinion may be taken as biased. This is a forum for people who actually own a Yoshihiro knife with helpful comments.
Your ultimate interest conflicts with the interest of the questionnaire's. You may feel this may be unfair, but in your industry this is how it is.

Lol. Jon sells Yoshihiro products - this ranting makes you look foolish.

at the time this was posted, i was carrying yoshihiro branded knives in my store and was making a comment about products I was carrying at the time.

As the starter of this thread I think you should mind your own business, and not resurrect an old thread to trash-talk anyone-especially Jon.
Also, I'd take Jon's advice over just about anyone else. He is quite knowledgeable and does a lot more teaching and contributing 'round these parts than he does any pimping or selling of wares.
Meh.
It's too early to get grumpy.

Your comment is quite naive to put it nicely.

Jon has very specific and direct knowledge of Yoshihiro knives. At the time of his comments he was selling them. He can always be depended on to give a very frank and unvarnished assessment of the products he sells. Jon's opinions have never been shown to be anything less than honest and unbiased. If anything, his reputation is as a guy who bends over backwards to be honest and unbiased. Frankly, he's a guy who generally shies away from speaking negatively about other vendors and their products, and certainly doesn't make personal attacks on other members.

The was nothing negative about his over a year old comments. He said they came with an ok edge, and a less than ok edge. They're Japanese knives, and this is common. Meh.

I don't think Jon was talking trash about Yoshihiro. He was stating a fact. many and I mean many Japanese knife makers and some quite well known send out knives that are not that sharp. They leave it up to the owner to open up the blade and put a working edge on it themselves. They are in the business of making knives and we are in the business of making them work properly for our uses. I can assure that Jon will not talk trash about these makers many of them are his friends and business associates. He has always been honest and straight forward about the products he sells and that is why he is very well respected. I personally and many other members welcome what comments Jon has as we know that we will be getting a straight and true observation.

i'm of firm belief that if you cant sharpen yourself or have the means to get it sharpened by someone who can on a regular basis, you really shouldn't be getting any knives nicer than a victorinox.

My wife purchased a YOSHIHIRO- Shiroko-Kasumi Yanagi Sashimi Shitan Handle 10.5" knife. I used it once and chipped the blade on a fish bone. The company refused to take it back or replace it. I would not recommend their products after this experience.

Their knives are inferior products and grossly over priced.

My wife purchased a YOSHIHIRO- Shiroko-Kasumi Yanagi Sashimi Shitan Handle 10.5" knife. I used it once and chipped the blade on a fish bone. The company refused to take it back or replace it. I would not recommend their products after this experience.

Welcome to KKF.

Yanagibas are intended to be used on boneless fish. Your "complaint" appears to be based on misuse, if not outright abuse, and is worthless.

Rick

Welcome to KKF.

Yanagibas are intended to be used on boneless fish. Your "complaint" appears to be based on misuse, if not outright abuse, and is worthless.

Rick

:D Seems like we have an emotional customer here. I own a Aoko Suminagashi 10.5" Yanagiba and haven't had any issues with Yoshihiro apart from the fact that 1) It was blunt as a turd when I got it and 2) it takes alot of care to sharpen it properly to get maximum cutting performance from the knife.

Show you guys what I mean..Not sharpening here but gives you an idea of how it cuts after going through 3 stones and a leather strop. At some points, the fish and chorizo skin become slightly sticky but that didn't get in the way of things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NX6HIkTWx4w

You misused the knife. In any case, once you use the knife properly or not, I don't know of any vendor who will accept a return.

Actually, there are 2 I can think of off hand, Sur La Table and (from reports on here, occasionally) CKTG.

The return of a used knife is what I meant to say. Sorry.

I have at least one Japanese fish cutting technique book that shows a yanagiba being used to fillet a fish - a small salmon, in fact - and to cut through bones.

Nonetheless, I don't disagree that the chip in the knife is user error or abuse. You can't use a yanagiba to cut through bones and expect it to come out completely unscathed.

Back