Japanese Knives Yoshihiro becoming Gesshin Uraku

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jon is currently extremely busy with his new store and etc so it might take a while for him to reply to your PM or email. Why don't you give him a quick call if you are in US?
But from what I understood, both Gesshin Uraku and Yoshihiro are from the same maker. However, as No Chop said Gesshin series meet JKI standard, which means you won't see the usual issues (i.e. low and high spots) you would see in other entry level J-knives. It's like they put more efforts to make their knives for Gesshin Uraku than their usual Yoshihiro kasumi series.

Having said that you could still end up with a good one even if you buy directly from Yoshihiro depending on your luck.
If you buy Jon's Gesshin series, it means you are buying a knife that passed Jon's F&F quality standard. I have read many posts here in KKF about Uraku and it seems everyone who bought them is very happy. I'd have bought them too, if the shipping to AU was cheaper.

That pretty much sums it up IMO.

[video=youtube;hihEhsdwiIk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hihEhsdwiIk[/video]

Same maker different brands I think. Jon posted a note a couple of weeks ago saying that his email backlist is massive and to expect delays following his shop move.

Ahh, okay. I just got here. I'm reading as fast as I can, but there is a lot. Thanks.

I'd read that, but it was making things worse.

"We are currently in the process of transitioning our Yoshihiro knives to Gesshin Uraku."

With everything else I'd read, that line is part of what was tripping me up. I couldn't tell if he was renaming them, or what, since he was talking about how they'd come up with the name for "Gesshin". That made me think maybe they were renaming the line to make it more personal. But the quality control had me thinking they were replacing it. Then, the part about them getting rid of the brand and making Gesshin instead was making me think there was supposed to be no such thing as Yoshihiro anymore. So him talking about "other people making Yoshihiro" was making me worry I'd gotten a knockoff or something. Anyways, thanks.

Jon is currently extremely busy with his new store and etc so it might take a while for him to reply to your PM or email. Why don't you give him a quick call if you are in US?
But from what I understood, both Gesshin Uraku and Yoshihiro are from the same maker. However, as No Chop said Gesshin series meet JKI standard, which means you won't see the usual issues (i.e. low and high spots) you would see in other entry level J-knives. It's like they put more efforts to make their knives for Gesshin Uraku than their usual Yoshihiro kasumi series.

Having said that you could still end up with a good one even if you buy directly from Yoshihiro depending on your luck.
If you buy Jon's Gesshin series, it means you are buying a knife that passed Jon's F&F quality standard. I have read many posts here in KKF about Uraku and it seems everyone who bought them is very happy. I'd have bought them too, if the shipping to AU was cheaper.

Thank you, that makes it crystal clear. I wasn't aware he was so busy. In that case, I won't call him, I'll just wait. I can use the Shun stones in the meantime. I just wanted a quick answer on which of his stones I should purchase first.

-2k?
-combo?
-something coarser or finer along with the 2k?

But really, I'm 99.999% getting the 2k regardless, and then I'll just pile more on there if needed.

That pretty much sums it up IMO.

Yes, that nailed it.

Thanks, guys.

2k is a great stone. what stone would you use before the 2k? what stone would you use as finishing stone? what types of steel are you sharpening?

2k is a great stone. what stone would you use before the 2k? what stone would you use as finishing stone? what types of steel are you sharpening?

One is SG-2, and one is AO-2. But I'm not going to mess with the SG-2 until I have practice, because the knife is too nice. So Blue #2 first. I have a 1000/6000 combo Shun stone now for fun. No strop yet, but I have a belt and newspaper.

I also have two that are VG-10, and will probably need the most attention.

the 1k side of that shun stone is actually pretty decent...i recently sharpened several shun elites. i used gesshin 400>gesshin 1200>gesshin 4k progression and i was pretty impressed with the edge i got. i do love gesh 2k on stainless though.

the 1k side of that shun stone is actually pretty decent...i recently sharpened several shun elites. i used gesshin 400>gesshin 1200>gesshin 4k progression and i was pretty impressed with the edge i got. i do love gesh 2k on stainless though.

I have read that the 2k cuts very fast. Could I just get a coarse stone, then go to 2k, then 4k? That way I'll have a stone for the VG-10 knives. And good progression. Plus, I do have the Shun stone. Have you used the 6k side of it?

i often use the gesshin 400, 2k, and 6k together with great results... no problem going from coarse to the 2k, and then to a finishing stone.

i often use the gesshin 400, 2k, and 6k together with great results... no problem going from coarse to the 2k, and then to a finishing stone.

Thank you.

And now that this thread has been brought from the dead, and hijacked beyond recognition, I guess I'd better buy something!!

Jon, is it the same Yoshihiro brand/blade-smith as described here: http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/18299-Got-first-knife(s)-!!!

For people that read what I wrote, understand it's from an honest, and unbiased, and inexperienced perspective. Even in this world of knives, that knife was not cheap. And I am happy with the knife. But honestly, I'm not sure if I should be pissed, happy, elated, impressed, or what - because I'm just not sure really if it's even any good. Picking up what I'm laying down?

I'm working on catching up on my e-mails and PM's still... sorry for the delay. I've got just under 100 e-mails to answer in my inbox, 16 PMs here, and 17 on other forums. I'm trying to catch up, but there's just one of me and a lot of you. Sorry again for the delay.

I'm working on catching up on my e-mails and PM's still... sorry for the delay. I've got just under 100 e-mails to answer in my inbox, 16 PMs here, and 17 on other forums. I'm trying to catch up, but there's just one of me and a lot of you. Sorry again for the delay.

Two of those PM's are mine. Have since been answered, and you can skip them.

Back