young begining chef

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a rod that I am using right now, I am really not sure if it is a good one and I don't have the money for any stones so no good sharpening.

Julian

Go to an auto parts store and get some sheets of wet/dry sandpaper, 60 grit, 400 grit and 1000 grit. Then get a 12" square ceramic floor tile with a smooth surface from Lowe's or Home Depot. Wet the back of the sandpaper so it will cling to the tile and use edge trailing strokes to sharpen your kitchen knife. Yeah, it's crude, but it will work and it won't cost more than $10.

Oh, and welcome to the forums!

Rick

Son tries to help new chefs as he was helped. Nothing sketchy he has given many people knives, but being brand new here I can see how Julian could react that way.

It's nothing about being worried about him sending weird stuff to my house, I just don't feel right accepting someone else's knife that they paid for.

Julian

It's okay, Julian I didn't think about that, I apologize if that came off wierd. As, for cost of me buying a knife, that isn't a worry. I have dozens of knives, specifically for giving away. I have been collecting for 20+years and knives come in and out of my hands all of the time. If you ever change your mind, with your parents permission the offer still stands.

Thank you very much, if you have ones that are for giving away I will think about it.

Julian

Out of curiosity , what brands of knives do you have to give away? are they expensive knives or more like a Henkles because if it's something like a Henkles I could buy a new one and if it was something over a hundred dollars I couldn't accept it

Julian, welcome to the KKF. Where are you located in the world? Looking forward to seeing some of your food pictures.

Hey Julian, welcome to the forum.

I also started cooking and getting interested in better kitchen knives when my family didn't have good knives and I didn't have a job or a way to afford good knives of my own. We didn't have a lot of money, so when my mom finally spent $20 on a small chef's knife, it was the best kitchen knife that I had ever used. It had a simple, thick grind and poor edge retention, but it served me well for many, many years (and it's still around).

Look around at some of the threads that talk about "thinning behind the edge" and restoring old knives. With a little effort and practice, you can make even a cheap, simple knife perform pretty darn well. The nice thing about cheaper, softer steel is that that it's much easier to abrade and shape and you're less likely to chip or seriously damage a more expensive knife made out of thin, hard steel.

The fancy water-stones that people talk about on here are also most useful for very hard, high quality steels, and actually might not work as well on softer steels. What would probably be best on your knife is what people call a "toothy edge" which is created quickly using pretty rough abrasives.
Have you seen any of Eamon's videos? They are a great place to start, but even some of the hard-core geeks on here still find stuff in them to learn from:
[video=youtube;lqsbO1w8rXE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqsbO1w8rXE[/video]

One more thing about cheap knives when you're first starting out is that they get dull faster so you have to sharpen more, so you get more practice!

Here are a couple videos that show what can be done with free, readily available things like a cinder block or cement step or a section of curb, a brick, cardboard, and an old belt.
[video=youtube_share;CXLaE1JvQ94]http://youtu.be/CXLaE1JvQ94[/video]
[video=youtube_share;wSzq45W0LTk]http://youtu.be/wSzq45W0LTk[/video]

Because this is kitchenKNIFEforums, a huge emphasis gets placed on having awesome, really high performance knives. However, you can learn all of the most important things that you need to from simple, cheap, and even free tools. Being able to get good results with a cheap knife all by yourself will put you far ahead of someone who just went out and bought a new knife and then had it professionally sharpened.

By the time you get your first really nice knife, you will already be a bad-ass and the coolest kid on the forums:pirate1::cool:

Thanks for the help.

But am understanding right that it is an old pants belt to scharpen with?

Julian

I just sharpened my knife on a cinder block and it seems to have helped alot, I will do it a few more times until it is nice and sharp. Thanks for the idea.

Julian

Very cool, Julian! There are a lot of threads about cooking here besides knives too, you know!

I miss K.C. spent about 10 years there.

After you use the cinder block take it to the belt strap and you will notice a difference to the edge too. Just make sure you don't "roll over" the knife like you see in old movies with barbers stropping the razor. You came to a great place to learn. Can't wait to see some food pics.

Btw Chef Son (sachem allison) loves giving good knives to new starting off cooks, just so they can learn what it's like to have something that will cut very well.

So should I strap the belt to a chair and pull it straight to scharpen with it?

P.S. I am recovering from miner surgery right now so there won't be any food pics for maybe a week or when I feel up to cooking.

Julian

putting it on something flat would be best. It is recommended that you glue it to a board or block of wood. But for now just something flat would be good.

Welcome to the forum, I wish I got started so young. As for Son he is a great guy that loves giving his stuff away, I don't know what he has planned but he has given many vintage German and American knives to many here that don't have as much need as you. I myself recieved a hippo tooth from him and look foward to the day that I can use it for something and post pictures of the result in my way of thanks. Glad your well on your journey keep it up, try to let us know how your doing as I'm sure many here get a kick out of watching the younger generation learn the trade.

Oh god, carter with a pony-tail

Welcome julian, in response to the belt-question: That's called stropping. It's done to remove the burr and polish the blade, it's not an effective means to sharpen. You can put abrasives on it to remove more metal, but it won't be coarse enough to be an effective sharpener, it's a finishing move.

Out of curiosity , what brands of knives do you have to give away? are they expensive knives or more like a Henkles because if it's something like a Henkles I could buy a new one and if it was something over a hundred dollars I couldn't accept it

Son has alot of vintage knives that are really old - many have a history, i suggest you ask him about the history of the knife you're getting, he has alot of very interesting stories.
Son is a great guy with a big heart, and the knives he gives away are great. They're not new, but that's not a bad thing. Blades from the old days are of very high quality and often underestimated.

You should take him up on his offer, and then, when you're older, you should remember this and help out the other guys starting in the business. This place is full of great people.

Okay I think I am convinced about accepting a knife, but what would you recommend I do for sharpening, I don't think I want to rub it on a cinder block.

Julian

Okay I think I am convinced about accepting a knife, but what would you recommend I do for sharpening, I don't think I want to rub it on a cinder block.

Julian

I'm sure Son will sharpen it up before sending it to you, and after that you can keep it sharp using a leather-strop (a piece of leather on a flat surface, you can use an old belt. Just make sure it's plain leather.)
You can even strop on cardboard, with our without any abrasive paste.

If you're thinking of a stone, you should look at combination stones like a 1k/6k or a 1k/5k
King has cheap and decent stones.
Or use the bottom of a ceramic cup or plate (the unglazed, rough part)

If you're not comfortable with this, i'm sure one of the guys here would help you out.. and think of it like this, you're helping them feed their addiction. Many here use sharpening as meditation.
And you'll get a screamingly good edge.
Perhaps there's even a guy in kansas who could teach you sharpen it

For stropping the best way is just to use newspaper on a hard flat surface. Some of the best sharpeners in the world do this, and it is fairly inexpensive.

Back