Your favourite gyuto under 300$

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it really depends what kind of knife you're looking for. Allrounder i might go with the Kurosaki AS from K&S... laser Ashi/Gesshin Ginga (not sure that's available for that price though) or Ikazuchi from JKI (and use the change to buy a Petty)... workhorse ... I guess Toyama is a tad over even when subtracting VAT

Woof - $300 is a rough price point IMO. It gets you past the very nice and functional entry level (many of the ones you disqualified for being constantly recommended (which tend to max out ~200), but doesn't quite get to the nice custom maker stuff like Marko, Shi-Han, Dalman, etc. That's why I haven't been able to pull the trigger on the very nice Sukenari SG2s that James has.

That was the whole point of this thread. I wanted to find something fun and exciting. Something I hadn't thought of myself so far, or something I might have dismissed at some point and maybe should look at again. And I wanted to see if there was something that flies under the radar that someone would have found but maybe wasn't getting recognized.

That Sukenari R2 fits in this slot perfectly. I wasn't aware of them and I will have to take a closer look.

One of my all time favorites: Misono Swedish steel, aka Misono Dragon. Why? It is WAY under your budget, it is carbon, F&F are among the best ever seen. Ok, it comes with Western handle only but at least a good one. Steel and profile are also pretty nice! For me, fantastic knife for the money!

Kinda weird to say this, but for this round it's a little too much under budget and I'll probably go with a wa handle.

Since no one has mentioned it yet, Takamura Pro. The 240 mm is a tad over $300 but includes a saya.

I think every chef looking for a western handled one and done better gyuto, this should be it. Even though I haven't used it. :lol2: But as this is the bigger, sturdier and more robust big brother to the my red handled Takamura R2, I can't imagine what could be much better for that.

... although I'm not looking for another Takamura. :thumbsup:

Since no one has mentioned it yet, Takamura Pro. The 240 mm is a tad over $300 but includes a saya.

I am with richard. I have one and it is versatile one. or kurosaki AS.

I think it really depends what kind of knife you're looking for. Allrounder i might go with the Kurosaki AS from K&S... laser Ashi/Gesshin Ginga (not sure that's available for that price though) or Ikazuchi from JKI (and use the change to buy a Petty)... workhorse ... I guess Toyama is a tad over even when subtracting VAT

Looking at all the great choicee given I realised that the only three criteria are size: 240, handle: wa and price: 300€ (could stretch a little, but not over 350€). Everything else is wide open. Just what ever happens to pop up and peeks my interest the most workhorses, lasers, middleweights... all good!

I'm so happy I made this thread. It's been so much fun already and some very interesting contenders have been found for sure.

Yoshikane SKD is probably still the frontrunner.
Wakui is a very close second, but I'm still a little bit afraid it might be too similar with the Itinomonn stainLess I got just yesterday.

Other strong contenders are (in no particular order) and any one of them could end up at the top.
Kochi, Masamoto KS, Shibata Kotetsu, Sukenari R2, Kurosaki Syousin Chiku.

As you can see my choices are absolutely all over the place. :lol2:

I have not used Yoshikane SKD gyuto, but I have 165 Hakata. The knife has flat, wide bevel knife that is not the thinnest out there, but has great food release. The SKD steel is run hard - you should use micro-bevel to keep micro-chipping at bay if you plat to chop with the knife (I do with the Hakata). But you will get incredible edge holding.

Kochi - again I do not have the gyuto, but the 180 k-tip santoku. Incredibly thin behind the edge - I really mean that. The grind of the bevel is slightly concave - that is part of the reason why it can be so thin, but I expect that even once the concave grind will turn flat after a few years, it will still be freaking thin.

Munetoshi - I am thoroughly enjoying this knife. Noe too high, neither too thin bevel (again, slightly concave) - it goes through food surprisingly well, even through carrots if you give the cut a little of slicing motion. This knife is a workhorse. I holds edge better than I would have expected from white steel. It has also rather flat profile - not everyone likes that, I do.

Konosuke - I had 2 in hand recently (just for a few minutes, really), but I was impressed by the grind and profile.

This is a hard call but I would say that most of the time my hand gravitates to my Masakage Yuki (210). I love the rounded shape of the choil as I find it both aesthetically and functionally pleasing. I like the looks of the finish as well and I enjoy White #2. My second choice, a close second, would be my Saji G3 but that is just barely under $300. It is simple with a rustic charm, has a nice handle and a good feel on the board and stones. It is also low maintenance. It is also a 210 so that will factor into the price.

Where is this for sale and in stock? Takamura Pro 240, that is.

Wow, What happened? There's probably something like over ten vendors selling that line and just six months ago I could find it in stock at several vendors, but now it's out of stock everywhere???

Could Takamuras popularity finally started to get to the level they deserve or has their focus shifted more on the little cheaper VG10 lines that seemed to be popping up at some places?

Shiro Kamo R2 is amongst my current favourites, from all my knives.
Definately the best, by some distance under $300 that I have tried.
Stop that you'll cause the price to jump before I get one :spankarse:

If you don't mind K-tip, there's the Shibata Kotetsu: http://www.chuboknives.com/products/shibata-kotetsu-sg2-gyutou-240mm-9-4#.WANfg-ArKCo

And I know you said no western handles, but the Kazan HAP40 is at least an interesting steel: http://www.chuboknives.com/products/kazan-hap40-hammered-gyutou-240mm-9-4#.WANfzuArKCo

Shibata Kotetsu: Is definitely in the mix. It's different, exciting and looks like a fun knife. Just wished the tip were pointier.

Kazan HAP40: I have the Kohetsu HAP40 WA which is the same knife. No hammer finish and the WA is thinner and lighter. It's the worst knife I have. Even if I put aside all the manufacturing faults it had. The grind and geometry was all over the place. I hate the profile. The grind is something like 90/10, it steers noticeably, tip is clumsy, there's a shoulder two to three mm behind the edge on the right side and combined with a convex grind makes it wedge bad. At first I liked the thing because the initial cut feels good, but then it just goes to s***. The more I used it the worse it felt.

I recommended it I think once when I got before I realised all the "extra features" and I never will again. The only positive take away was that now I know exactly what I don't like in a knife. It's a project knife now and time will tell if I'll ever get it in shape.

Shibata Kotetsu: Is definitely in the mix. It's different, exciting and looks like a fun knife. Just wished the tip were pointier.

Kazan HAP40: I have the Kohetsu HAP40 WA which is the same knife. No hammer finish and the WA is thinner and lighter. It's the worst knife I have. Even if I put aside all the manufacturing faults it had. The grind and geometry was all over the place. I hate the profile. The grind is something like 90/10, it steers noticeably, tip is clumsy, there's a shoulder two to three mm behind the edge on the right side and combined with a convex grind makes it wedge bad. At first I liked the thing because the initial cut feels good, but then it just goes to s***. The more I used it the worse it felt.

I recommended it I think once when I got before I realised all the "extra features" and I never will again. The only positive take away was that now I know exactly what I don't like in a knife. It's a project knife now and time will tell if I'll ever get it in shape.

Thanks for the heads up on the HAP40 - now it can be stricken from my list of potentially interesting toys.

Thanks for the heads up on the HAP40 - now it can be stricken from my list of potentially interesting toys.

The steel has potential, just too bad everything around it ruins a good thing. It gets stupid sharp and has a nice bite. If only Gihei made a 240 gyuto, or some other known smith. That would be even better. On the other hand maybe there's a reason no ones making them?

It's possible that I just got a Monday version, but since I got no help from the vendor I'll never know.

It seems all the makers are getting on the R2 bandwagon and for some reason the SRS15 and HAP40 steels are being left behind. It would be fun to know why that is? :scratchhead:

It is probably to do with takefu special steel looking after the bladesmith and the takefu guys are more productive so you see more r2 around.

It is probably to do with takefu special steel looking after the bladesmith and the takefu guys are more productive so you see more r2 around.

Very interesting, thanks! :thumbsup:

It certainly explains why R2 is so popular.
But still a little weird there isn't any bladesmiths using SRS15 and only one using HAP40? (at least with their own names?)

There is Akifusa using SRS15. Nothing bad to say against SRS15 (is it that different from R2?), but I like the R2 bandwagon and that there's so much to choose from in that steel :D

It seems all the makers are getting on the R2 bandwagon and for some reason the SRS15 and HAP40 steels are being left behind. It would be fun to know why that is? :scratchhead:

Beyond what James said (and it makes sense that, if Takefu is good about getting lots of R2 out to smiths and being easy to work with, lots of them use it) in my use it seems to be a good combination of relatively easy and pleasant to sharpen, while also holding the edge well. And at a pretty good price. Just not much weakness to the steel, unless you really like carbon (and even I agree that carbon feels a bit better to sharpen).

I won't recommend the Tanaka because I always bloody do. I tend to pipe in with Toyama a lot.. guilty. However, the one that's really blowing my hair back at the moment is a 270 Wakui gyuto. So incredibly thin behind the edge but not not flimsy at all.

Y'all have convinced me to order this knife (great photo!) At $228 USD, if the one I get is as good as the reports on this forum, this has to be one of the greatest deals in carbon J-knives out there. Looking forward to getting this and putting it through the paces!

Cheers,
Blair

Anyone have choil shot of the Yoshikane SKD? That would help a lot.

Not gyutos, but maybe this will help.

Left to right: Kochi 180 K-tip gyuto, Yoshikane Hakata 165 SKD, Carter 165 funayuki.

Back