Your favourite gyuto under 300$

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In no particular order, I particularly love (in that price range):
- Gesshin Kagero
- Aritsugu A type
- Masamoto KS

Kagero: It is an interesting knife, but too short. I like the steel, but not what I'm looking for this time.
Aritsugu: Looks interesting, but I'm looking for a harder steel.
Masamoto KS: VERY interesting, though seems to be impossible to find anywhere.

Not gyutos, but maybe this will help.

Left to right: Kochi 180 K-tip gyuto, Yoshikane Hakata 165 SKD, Carter 165 funayuki.

Helps a lot. :biggrin:
Thanks Matus!

This is a hard call but I would say that most of the time my hand gravitates to my Masakage Yuki (210). I love the rounded shape of the choil as I find it both aesthetically and functionally pleasing. I like the looks of the finish as well and I enjoy White #2. My second choice, a close second, would be my Saji G3 but that is just barely under $300. It is simple with a rustic charm, has a nice handle and a good feel on the board and stones. It is also low maintenance. It is also a 210 so that will factor into the price.

Masakage Yuki: Nice knife, but maybe falls a little short against some others here.
Saji G3: I need to look a little closer.

I have not used Yoshikane SKD gyuto, but I have 165 Hakata. The knife has flat, wide bevel knife that is not the thinnest out there, but has great food release. The SKD steel is run hard - you should use micro-bevel to keep micro-chipping at bay if you plat to chop with the knife (I do with the Hakata). But you will get incredible edge holding.

Kochi - again I do not have the gyuto, but the 180 k-tip santoku. Incredibly thin behind the edge - I really mean that. The grind of the bevel is slightly concave - that is part of the reason why it can be so thin, but I expect that even once the concave grind will turn flat after a few years, it will still be freaking thin.

Munetoshi - I am thoroughly enjoying this knife. Noe too high, neither too thin bevel (again, slightly concave) - it goes through food surprisingly well, even through carrots if you give the cut a little of slicing motion. This knife is a workhorse. I holds edge better than I would have expected from white steel. It has also rather flat profile - not everyone likes that, I do.

Konosuke - I had 2 in hand recently (just for a few minutes, really), but I was impressed by the grind and profile.

Thanks for the tips! :thumbsup:

Don't know why, but the Konosuke thing has never caught my interest?

Masakage Yuki: Nice knife, but maybe falls a little short against some others here.
Saji G3: I need to look a little closer.

Isn't that what is wonderful about personal preference. No matter how many gyutos I try I go back to my Yuki, it just feels good in hand. The choil shape plays a big role in this and is part of the reason I got the Saji as well.

A note about the G3: It is a bit beefier throughout. A laser it is not.

Isn't that what is wonderful about personal preference. No matter how many gyutos I try I go back to my Yuki, it just feels good in hand. The choil shape plays a big role in this and is part of the reason I got the Saji as well.

A note about the G3: It is a bit beefier throughout. A laser it is not.

Yes it is! :)

...and I did say: maybe... falls short?
...Or maybe it doesn't? There's no way for me to know for sure.

Since I have no way of handling any of these, I'm just making some educated guesses based on pictures, reviews, specs and recommendations. From that I try to make the best guess. Luckily with so many good options it's hard to make a bad choice.

Yes it is! :)

...and I did say: maybe... falls short?
...Or maybe it doesn't? There's no way for me to know for sure.

Since I have no way of handling any of these, I'm just making some educated guesses based on pictures, reviews, specs and recommendations. From that I try to make the best guess. Luckily with so many good options it's hard to make a bad choice.

You are probably not wrong. I have heard the Yuki described as a great knife for its price point and a good knife overall but not something that most would put on their favorites list. It just resonates with me.

I feel your pain about making a choice in a sea of good knives. I am very indecisive and that makes it difficult for me when I want to try something new. Forums like these have helped me a lot though because there are a lot of nice folks on here willing to share their experiences.

Y'all have convinced me to order this knife (great photo!) At $228 USD, if the one I get is as good as the reports on this forum, this has to be one of the greatest deals in carbon J-knives out there. Looking forward to getting this and putting it through the paces!

Cheers,
Blair
They're awesome. You won't regret that purchase. Imagine a mono steel laser (tad,ginga,kono,etc etc) but w better profile and better taper from spine to edge. Really thin tip also...don't let the price fool you this line kicks ass.

They're awesome. You won't regret that purchase. Imagine a mono steel laser (tad,ginga,kono,etc etc) but w better profile and better taper from spine to edge. Really thin tip also...don't let the price fool you this line kicks ass.

Fantastic! Thanks for your response. Can't wait to get this one in hand!

Cheers,
Blair

Yeah, that Wakui has started to taunt me too. But I'm still afraid of it being too similar with the Itinomonn. Labor of love have you used the Itinomonn (either one, StainLess or V2)? Or has anyone else for that matter used both? I'd love to hear some opinions comparing the Wakui Kasumi/Hairline and Itinomon StainLess or V2?

I own both knives, I prefer the Wakui. The food release it s amazing.

Ok, Thanks a lot preizzo!
Good to know. :thumbsup:

Could you please share about couple other things like edge retention, achieved sharpness and profile any differences with those features? Is the Wakui significantly thinner behind the edge or similar? Also which Itinomonn do you have? How is the reactivity on the Wakui W2 core steel?

Since you prefer the Wakui, how is it over all? One of your favourites or something else?

I would really love to hear more, thanks! :)

I had a santoku and a nakiri Wakui, but I sold them because I am more a Gyuto guy, anyway they are great knives.
I am using a 270 Wakui right now and as a decent edge retention,little reactivity (only on the cutting edge), spine it s rounded and the kurouchi finish it s amazing..
The handle needs to be changed, not my taste.

Ittinomonn it s a nice knife also, thin and very agile true the ingredients even if it s very tall (have the kurouchi version), mine is 57mm.
Very reactive, but after you set down a patina it stay like that!
Only thing I don't like was to sharpen it, the v2 doesn't fell right for me.

Conclusion
Both knives are good cutters, but if you work in a pro kitchen I will go for the Wakui because you don't need to clean the blade so often and because of the food relaise. Ittinomonn as a wide flat bevel so food get stuck to the blade.
😊

Nice, Thanks! :)

Al thought I should have specified, was more referring to the Kasumi/Hairline knives on both the Itinomonn and Wakui. But I still got good answers for some things I was wondering about, like how the V2 is over (reactivity, how it sharpens etc.) and about the W2 also.

Much appreciated!!! :doublethumbsup:

Kagero: It is an interesting knife, but too short. I like the steel, but not what I'm looking for this time.
Aritsugu: Looks interesting, but I'm looking for a harder steel.
Masamoto KS: VERY interesting, though seems to be impossible to find anywhere.

Can I ask why you think the Artisugu is not hard enough? I have one amd love it. Has heaps of edge retention... A tad on the thicker side than a ginga, and i understand when they were on vogue people would thin them and say they are awesome wheb thinned, but that it is definitely some work with the steel.

Overall great knife. It does has quite an asymmetrical grind, 90/10 i would have a guess at.

Well, what I can find is that the Aritsugu A Style hardness is in the 60 HRC region. That's absolutely fine, but for this time I'd like the hardness to be somewhere around 63-65 HRC.

Like I said it does look interesting (in a nice price point as well), but for this trip, there are others that are tickling my brain a little more. That's all.

Well, what I can find is that the Aritsugu A Style hardness is in the 60 HRC region. That's absolutely fine, but for this time I'd like the hardness to be somewhere around 63-65 HRC.

Like I said it does look interesting (in a nice price point as well), but for this trip, there are others that are tickling my brain a little more. That's all.

Cool was just curious and just wanted to make sure you didn't discount the knife purely based on a number that I don't think quite reflects what the steel is... or at least i think you need to look at steel in combination with hrc.

Steel in combination with HRC is definitely a good idea - in particular with stainless steels. For example - Niolox is usually not treated past HRC61 because the edge does not last longer, just get more brittle.

Steel in combination with HRC is definitely a good idea - in particular with stainless steels. For example - Niolox is usually not treated past HRC61 because the edge does not last longer, just get more brittle.

Yet my understanding is that niolox still holds a great edge... which was my point. One can't forget that all your hrc is telling you is literally that. How hard the knife is... what can scratch it essentially. Yes higher hardness does tend to relate to other things but it must be viewed with what the steel is as well.

Exactly. Also - I would also expect that the properties will depend on how that given HRC was achieved during HT. For example - carbon steel like O1 may be treated with or without cryo. I would expect different properties even if the HRC would be the same ...

(sorry for a short off topic rant, JaVa :) )

Yes back to our scheduled topic... i don't know if this has been said but checking out Jame's website (knives and stones) i think he should have a few interesting choices in that prive range, beyond just the Tanaka that always gets mentioned.

Yet my understanding is that niolox still holds a great edge... which was my point. One can't forget that all your hrc is telling you is literally that. How hard the knife is... what can scratch it essentially. Yes higher hardness does tend to relate to other things but it must be viewed with what the steel is as well.

I couldn't agree more. I always look at the steel and hardness together. I would add to that the maker just to be sure that the steel is treated right too.

Exactly. Also - I would also expect that the properties will depend on how that given HRC was achieved during HT. For example - carbon steel like O1 may be treated with or without cryo. I would expect different properties even if the HRC would be the same ...

(sorry for a short off topic rant, JaVa :) )

No worries! interesting discussions are always welcome. :)

And to why I like for this knife to be on the harder side? One important property to me is feel. I just like how a harder steel feels cutting different produce and also how it feels on the cutting board. I have several knives from around 60 to 65 HRC and really like them all (one exception though), but this time around would like to ad to the harder side of the spectrum.

Back