Your Favourite Wines...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Upwards of 500 euro around here. Even the cheapest Gaja bottling is 95 euro

Ah yeah looks like they're pushing 500 quid in the UK now,

They are crazy good those top Gaja Barbarescos, but it's oligarch pricing. If I were a billionaire I'd drink them all the time. As it is I've never bought a bottle, only had at trade tastings and when visiting the domaine.

I checked my cellar and found a few more bottles of the most controversial wine ever made. I haven’t tried it in a while but it tastes like a good old bordeaux.
View attachment 290120

For reference, two prominent critics nearly came to blows over it:
Parker and Robinson in war of words

Anyway, no surprise - Parker was right.

I thought this would be interesting for discussion but probably long forgotten.

Haha, I remember that scrap. I suspect my own palate would be more in line with Jancis; I rarely enjoy particularly highly rated Parker wines, though I've never had Pavie '03 so can't say for sure.

And of course 'The Greatest Wine of All Time'was also a wildly alcoholic St Emilion from a scorchingly hot vintage, that was disliked by many on release. Perhaps the Pavie could turn into another Cheval Blanc '47...

Last edited:
I doff my cap to all you guys who spend 100 euro plus on a bottle of wine. My wallet starts to get nervous when the price exceeds 30 euro. For single malt whiskies the ceiling is 300 euro and thats only for an exceptional bottling. I think the most I ever spent was an auction bottling of Balvenie Tun 1401 Batch 8, which will be opened on my 60th in 3 weeks. Paid £350 4 years ago and these now command in excess of £1000.
Chapeau to all you ballers.

Last edited:
This thread had me thinking about some of the best wines I’ve had in my life. There was a small wine shop in the town I attended college that had a dusty backroom where an hour could be spent hunting for forgotten decades old bottles. My favorites were always grower champagnes which he had an abundance of for quite reasonable prices.

Today I decided to try and hunt down a bottle of Ulysses Collin only to be floored by how unbelievably hard to find and expensive they are now. Extremely sad as they might be my favorite wines from the area and are now well beyond my reach for all but the most special occasions :(

Personally i think it's hard to beat a Amarone, bought this from the vineyard, on my road trip last year. Drunk with Xmas dinner.
IMG20231225140930.jpg

This thread had me thinking about some of the best wines I’ve had in my life. There was a small wine shop in the town I attended college that had a dusty backroom where an hour could be spent hunting for forgotten decades old bottles. My favorites were always grower champagnes which he had an abundance of for quite reasonable prices.

Today I decided to try and hunt down a bottle of Ulysses Collin only to be floored by how unbelievably hard to find and expensive they are now. Extremely sad as they might be my favorite wines from the area and are now well beyond my reach for all but the most special occasions :(

Ah yes! I too fondly remember my student days. Though back then in Dublin there was little choice to be had; just Guinness, Jameson, or Selosse.

;)

My absolute favourite is Oak Ridge Reservé 2019, Zinfandel ❤️

My absolute favourite is Oak Ridge Reservé 2019, Zinfandel ❤️
I've had that wine many times and from many vintages. Typically around 20–25 years old. (Friends of mine in Berkeley are avid wine collectors, and they religiously buy a few cartons from Oak Ridge each year, including the Zinfandel.) It's a phenomenal wine, and one of my all-time favourites, too! :)

When I couldn't afford to be buying wine, I kept buying Coudert Tardive, just a few each year. I think I also have more Huet, Baudry, and Prum than just about anything else.

A while back some very dear friends of mine used to make and bottle a wine in a different country each year. I'm off to a gig this evening with one of them, and staying over so am packing this:

IMG_3614.jpeg

IMG_3602.jpg

The Spectre was the second wine they ever made in that venture. A gorgeous, zippy, Kabinett style, Mosel Riesling, that should be hitting it's prime about now. But alas I believe this is the last bottle of it in existence.

(The label btw is a photograph of a human skull that was found in the rafters of the winery, and which still looks over proceedings today).

Last edited:
That is one badass wine!

It's cool isn't it! As well as being excellent winemakers, they were also always very good at the packaging and design side of things, which certainly helps when you're trying to sell it.

I was right in my prediction too - the wine was hitting its peak now, and could happily have been kept longer.

My friend I was visiting who made the wine, hadn't actually tasted it in at least five years (it was only 2,000 bottles and they sold out very quickly), and it actually rather surprised him just how well it had aged. Apparently there wasn't a huge amount of free SO2 left at bottling, so he was expecting that after 10 years there'd be noticeable oxidative character. But it was pristine. Absolutely gorgeous. :)

Dang,

I cant keep a bottle to last longer than 3 months in the house.
Back in the day, when I lived in the Bay Area, ex and I drove up to Santa Cruz Mountain Winery. Their Bates Ranch cab was grown on a plot adjacent to Ridge’s Monte Bello vineyard. I picked up two cases of the ‘86 there. I think I still have a few bottles left, and they are just hitting their stride. For a quarter of the price, they give up very little to the Monte Bello which at the time was described as California’s first legitimate first growth. Opus was still finding its feet, but even thirty-plus years ago the hype machine was in full swing.

This was back when I had money. I went to a tasting at a nice grocery in Menlo Park and got to experience the ‘90 Jaboulet La Chapelle on release. It was a peak experience. I have three, four bottles of that for upcoming celebrations.

Now I go to Grocery Outlet and buy mostly reds from the Southern hemisphere. Found some no-excuses reds from South Africa for $50/case.

Back