Your Three Cheapest knives that ACTUALLY performed

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Helllloooo, I think I only paid like $48 for the tojiro itk bread knife before it first came out. Best. Deal. Ever.

I will throw in the tosagatas at JWW. I have the Nakiri and Santoku that I bought for sharpening practice, and they used to be $8-10 cheaper -- now they are $49. Both are still in rotation and the wife loves them. I also have a victorinox bird's beak parer that does what it is supposed to do and is cheap as anything I have in my house.

k.

11.011.05.jpg

When this Dojo knife was like $55 it was a great bargain (with blue #1 steel core) to have and still remains a favorite of mine to use but at $110 now I'd never buy it again.

i've sharpened a friend's Dojo nakiri, which he had bought for about that amount. definitely a great knife for that kind of money. too bad they have gone up so much, like everything else.

11.011.05.jpg

When this Dojo knife was like $55 it was a great bargain (with blue #1 steel core) to have and still remains a favorite of mine to use but at $110 now I'd never buy it again.

i've sharpened a friend's Dojo nakiri, which he had bought for about that amount. definitely a great knife for that kind of money. too bad they have gone up so much, like everything else.

My best cheapish knife is my Dojo nakiri for around $80. Blue steel core, AS,#1,#2, not really sure but take an amazing edge and holds it. If they ever make a 240 gyuto (god I wish they would) I'd buy it. It has a weird half tang handle, which almost makes it impossible to rehandle, at least to me. Also, I just picked up a 240 Kanetsune Kanemasa Minomoto for $56 shipped on ebay a month back. It almost felt free. Knife is great for the price paid. Good geometery, bit of belly, thin, a lil soft but takes a good edge. Retention is just ok. But for $50, I don't think you could get a better carbon 240 new. And it was my first western re-handle. Cocobolo with a single brass rivet :)

I will throw in the tosagatas at JWW. I have the Nakiri and Santoku that I bought for sharpening practice, and they used to be $8-10 cheaper -- now they are $49. Both are still in rotation and the wife loves them. I also have a victorinox bird's beak parer that does what it is supposed to do and is cheap as anything I have in my house.

k.

Is that the same knife as the Tosa Machinokajiya at Bernal? I picked up a few of those for rehandle project knives. The name is so crazy it seems fake lol. My google-fu finds nothing on it.

those 2N Kanetsunes are interesting looking. i haven't bought a Western handled knife in a long while, i might have to rectify that. what was the F&F like on it?

Is that the same knife as the Tosa Machinokajiya at Bernal? I picked up a few of those for rehandle project knives. The name is so crazy it seems fake lol. My google-fu finds nothing on it.

They look similar, but not sure. The profile on the santoku is a bit (though not much) different from mine.

k.

those 2N Kanetsunes are interesting looking. i haven't bought a Western handled knife in a long while, i might have to rectify that. what was the F&F like on it?

F&F is quite good for the $. No issues with overgrinds and handle is clean. Spine and choil need to be rounded, give it a good sharpening and you're good to go.

They look similar, but not sure. The profile on the santoku is a bit (though not much) different from mine.

k.

Yeah, they do look similar. Just trying to find out more about the Machinokajiya brand.

11.011.05.jpg

$55?!>!?!?! Uggh, I need to find a good deal like that...

Lefty: I found it on a Swedish auction-site, wasn't she a beauty? :D
photodec01222715.png

Kaleb: If you find one and manage to catch me in a weak moment(post-whiskey) maybe! :lol2:

your scimitar would look pretty with this :razz:
DSC02804.jpg
DSC02806.jpg

Wusthof classic kit $140, the bread knife and the 8" chefs knife were my go-to's for the longest time. I still have both as my knives for home use. The parer and utility were nice, but barely got used cuz the other two were takin care of all the business.

F.dick de sosseur boning knife, about twenty five bucks. Still use it often for heavy lifting butchery tasks ( at least until I buy a hankotsu). It may literally have cleaned a tonne of striploin in the last ten years.

Back