Media YouTube Knuckleheads

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually I've heard that same polish-reducing-rust claim from Robert Herder. Who knows there might actually be something to it.

Actually I've heard that same polish-reducing-rust claim from Robert Herder. Who knows there might actually be something to it.
I think that poorly polished blade would be more prone to micro pitting compared to decently polished one. After all if you put a scratch on surface you are technically making surface area a tiny bit bigger. And moisture would stay longer in the scratches (compared to polished surface). But anyone who thinks that mirror polished carbon blades won't rust will have a very nasty surprise

Closely followed by this one, also on how to not make Brezen. At least he used lye…

I know he's not a expert but this is some of the worst sharpening I've been in a while.
I watched this earlier today. He is right about the drum not being large enough. He sharpened a Fibrox, by the looks of things, and the blade is too tall for the roller to reach the edge.

The problem here really isn't the sharpener, but the sharpening system. It's another theoretically nice idea that, in practice, goes nowhere.

I watched this earlier today. He is right about the drum not being large enough. He sharpened a Fibrox, by the looks of things, and the blade is too tall for the roller to reach the edge.

The problem here really isn't the sharpener, but the sharpening system. It's another theoretically nice idea that, in practice, goes nowhere.
I was mainly looking at his dry whetstone and stone technique. His comments on the Horl 2 not being able to reach the edge is actually useful for someone looking at the system.

I know he's not a expert but this is some of the worst sharpening I've been in a while.

I never knew you were supposed to hold a chef knife by the middle of the grip, with the tip of your index finger behind the base of the spine. Knowledge imparted!

Attachments

• dumnife.jpg
    dumnife.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 0
Maybe it's me but I couldn't understand a word he was saying....:confused:
I am no native german speaker so it is also hard for me. He basically explains that steel sharpening rods are more or less like stones, they remove metal from the blade.
I don`t see the advantage using a steel rod this way, but i know butchers that do it like him in the last minute of the vid. I use this kind of sharpening rods for my globals ;), and they work well. i think he es claiming them to be like stones ?

SirCutAlot

This is not a bad video. He does say that the hone needs to be harder than the knife steel and that, with a coarse hone, you will remove some metal. (Not too sure about this, the jury on that still seems to be out. But a small amount will flake off, I expect.) He does feel for a burr and says that he got one. My hone here is not coarse enough for that. But I also have a fine diamond hone for my Wüsthofs, and I do get a burr with that.

The technique of laying the honing steel onto the board and using it like a stone was new to me. But I don't see why not, if someone is more comfortable that way.

At any rate, I wouldn't put this into the "knucklehead" category.

Last edited:
Back