• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

2 synths: renge suita & JNS red aoto matukusuyama

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Asteger

Reaction score
I got these some time ago mainly just to try as they're both intended to replicate natural stones and I was curious. Both good stones.

The JNS Red has a good size and is listed as 2k-4k. You can read more about it elsewhere or here.

On the other hand, I have no idea if anyone who reads this will have tried the Renge Suita, and so I'll say more. I ordered it from Japan where it seems to be popular enough, and it'd be a surprise if this one wasn't stocked by any overseas sellers. The kanji says 'synthetic renge suita finishing stone' and it's listed as 6k. Nice feel/feedback which does well in replicating the knife-friendly Ohira suita I have tried, not the too-hard-for-knives harder suita out there. It isn't too fine, nor too hard or soft, and leaves a natural-like hazy finish with good jigane/hagane contrast. I was pretty happy with it and I think it's an economical option if you want to try something like a softer knife-friendly jnat suita, to be assured of good results, but also if maybe you don't have the budget to try this kind of jnat finisher.

I'd like to sell both stones together to minimise shipping and fuss, unless someone is interested in combining one with the nagura I still have on BST here or 2 or 3 others I haven't got round to listing yet. (PM me in that case.) With the grit ranges these have and the results you get from them, I also think these two compliment each other very well. Asking $180 for the two together shipped & insured.

Note: JNS Red was a bit damp during the photo, hence the inconsistencies in colour. Also, the kanji is intact on both because I tried them on the underside.

I've got the jinzo renge suita, it is a great stone. It might be my favourite synthetic finisher. It has the kind of hard-but-smooth feel that good naturals do. Leaves a nice finish, too.

Thanks, Devon. Jinzo renge suita - so Jinzo's the maker? I don't know who they are and didn't know who made this stone, but good to know others have tried this one and recommend it.

Thanks, Devon. Jinzo renge suita - so Jinzo's the maker? I don't know who they are and didn't know who made this stone, but good to know others have tried this one and recommend it.

Jinzo means synthetic

Renge suita is a type of natural stone

Jinzo means synthetic Renge suita is a type of natural stone

Ah, thanks: jinzo=synth. Didn't know that & serves me right for having so many naturals. As for renge suita, I mentioned using them above. Pretty familiar with that sort of thing, relatively less so with these synth stones that seem all the rage ;)

Right, discount down to $165. Insured shipping is included. Two very nice stones.

Asteger is a gentleman. I bought one of his aotos and everything was as described. Shipping from him was very fast too, even faster than EMS from Japan.

Bump! These 2 are still available together, shipped. I've had individual offers but would prefer to send them out as a pair.

I didn't say before, but while the JNS Red of course has a good rep I like the suita synth a lot. I mentioned I wasn't sure how common these were (pretty uncommon, it now seems) and so I think this one could be a nice find for someone, and of course can follow on in a progression after the JNS Red. Also, at 6k the suita synth doesn't give the same finish I think most synths do, as it replicates more of a hazy natural finish.

FWIW, the synthetic suita is a baseless Sigma Power Ceramic 6000. Looks like two great stones. GLWS.

These are sold now. Thanks to those who've looked and commented above.

Back