Knives & Stones Introducing the Sakai Takayuki Syousin Sakura Wa Gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pkjames

KKF Sponsor
Reaction score
This is the knife that I have being waiting for sooooooo long, and after 3 iterations, it is finally coming together: The Sakai Takayuki Syousin Sakura Wa-Gyuto.

Syousin (匠心, translates to "craftsman's heart"), is a series of custom lines that are exclusive to Knives and Stones. The focus of Syousin is very clear: exceptional fit and finish combined with exceptional value.

The first shipment only has two models: 240mm regular shaped wa gyuto and kiritsuke shaped wa gyuto, both are in blue 2.

The Sakura line is the a first truly custom line that I worked with Aoki Hamono (Sakai Takayuki) to design something that we, the KKF knifenuts, would really appreciate. In the case of the Sakura, it is forged by Mr. Suogo Yamatuka and sharpened by Mr. Norikatsu Nishimura. Both of them are part the elite group (currently less than 30) of the Dentou Kougeishi (Traditional Skilled Craftsman, 伝統工芸士). The result is a perfectly forged Blue 2 Kasumi blade shipped with a really nice profile: 3.6 to 4mm above heel at spine and with a very nice distal taper to the tip; also it is extremely thin behind the edge.

In terms of F&F for the Sakura, polished spine and choil come standard; more importantly, a beautifully crafted octagonal handle with sliver spacer is also part of the game. In fact, I really like this handle design, which I think is a perfect combination of simplicity and elegance, so I have made a decision that this type of handle will become the standard of all the future Syousin knives. Not to mention that knife ships with a beautifully hand sewn knife pouch and a wooden presentation box.

As I said, the Syousin means value for money: a perfectly forged and sharpened blade, great F&F, elegant handle and many accessories, the Syousin Sakura 240mm Wa-Gyuto is priced at US$399.00 shipped world wide. Currently I still haven't receive my saya, but anyone who purchase this from Knives and Stones will receive a Saya for free (shipping included) when they become available later.

Some photos to start with, more details later:)

Availability: Coming soon

[video=youtube;6J69jUgFaYU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6J69jUgFaYU[/video]

syousin-sakura-wa-gyuto.jpg

syousin-sakura-kritsuke.jpg

syousin-sakura-kanji-2.jpg

syousin-sakura-handle-2.jpg

syousin-sakura-handle.jpg

-dsc4737.jpg

syousin-sakura-packing.jpg

syousin-sakura-bag.jpg

Very nice. Let us know when they are available.

Thick spine with pronounced shinogi line & wide bevel is my favor geometry! The choil shot looks very impressive! How tall is blade height? What is the weight??

Thick spine with pronounced shinogi line & wide bevel is my favor geometry! The choil shot looks very impressive! How tall is blade height? What is the weight??

Alright, measurements are out. I made a mistake on the first post claiming that the thicking above the spine is 3.6 to 4, but in fact it is around 3.2mm and the thick at handle is about 3.6.

Detailed spec:
Regular shaped gyuto:
Weight: 246h
Total Length: 387mm
Blade Length: 232mm
Height: 51.2mm
thickness above heel: 3,1mm
thickness at mid of spine: 2.4mm
thickness at 1cm from the tip: 0.97mm

Kiritsuke shaped shaped gyuto:
Weight: 242g
Total Length: 387mm