Can someone please tell me about this mine?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yamaichi is not a mine but a distributor, and Shohonzan mean Kyoto, I was told.

Price seems good but I don't know the stone so hard to say. It can be a gamble with jnats and you have to trust the seller. I got a good stone from MM but the difficult part with him is that
he seldom answers emails, but he surely is one of the more inexpensive of the reputable sellers.

Looks a hell of a lot like one of the Shoboudanis he's got for sale on eBay.

Funny enough, the only one I ever tried was from MM. Cheap but good and probably doesn't get enough time in my sharpening rotation. Not as soft as I thought it'd be at level 3.5 but that's not an issue. I'd still be keen to try the big level 3 he's got

Have you tried a Shoboudani?

I have/have had several. One of the very knife-friendly finer stones, for sure. Generally easy to use, not too fine, good for finishing. Tomae are probably superior to most other Tomae that suit knives. I've heard of some very good suita, but don't own and haven't tried one.

I ended up getting this stone and I really love it, very smooth feeling when sharpening, fast, it makes a great finish. The Namazu pattern also makes this a quite a beautiful stone. Don't really understand why they're not more expensive.

I ended up getting this stone and I really love it, very smooth feeling when sharpening, fast, it makes a great finish. The Namazu pattern also makes this a quite a beautiful stone. Don't really understand why they're not more expensive.

Tell me more please! Grit, hardness. Pics!? Thanks! :doublethumbsup:

Back