$1.99 sharpening stone

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomchakabowwow

Reaction score
I dulled my Swiss Army knife at work. I was not thrilled. One of the office supervisors pulls a whetstone out of his pocket. It was tiny. He said it’s a vineyard field worker stone used to keep wine-grape tools sharp. He carries it full time with his old Buck knife.

He said to wet it and go. Sure. Why not? I started slowly. More so I wouldn’t cut myself. It’s tiny. It was fast cutting. I used a light touch. Holy krap! It got that knife sharp! I stropped it on leather. ( I put some stropping compound on a civil engineering tool sheath). The slow deliberate movement used to prevent me from cutting myself allowed Me to nail the angle. It is sharper than ever.

Lessened learned. I’m not gonna overthink sharpening anymore. Abrasive+ correct angle will get it done.

I went to a farm shop and picked up a stone for my work truck. It was $1.99. Found it right next to this curved grapevine pruning knife.

Back