240 gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JessePowers

Reaction score
In the market to upgrade my gyuto from my 210 nenox to a 240. I'd like something 50/50 with an octagonal handle as I'm lefty (or a lefty grind/handle at not a tremendous markup) I keep seeing everyone talking about the same makers: Kato, shigefusa, konosuke, Gesshin, takeda. If anyone has any advice or could post a link to a prior thread that would be great. I'd like the knife to be the best value. Was hoping to keep it around 300 but that's negotiable. I would be happy if it came with a saya. This knife will be used regularly in a professional kitchen not at home. I have always had stainless. But I've been recently using a lot of carbon that I really enjoy. I would like to consider both but not something that is extremely quick to react.

Or advice on a custom maker that would fit the structure. I know that customs may not work at that budget so I'd still appreciate the input in case I'd like to reassess what I'm willing to spend.

Thanks All,

Jesse

If you like your nenox 210 you will probably like a nenox 240. They are good knives from my experience. However I am not trying to dissuade you from trying other knives at all. You may also want to look at Yoshikane. Finally there is a list of questions that you can answer here. That will help us narrow the list of possibilities down for you.

I think the only questions I didn't answer is what I'll be cutting: mostly vegetables.

Grip: pinch

Cutting style: all three at various times

Do I sharpen: yes

Edge retention: this is a tough question to answer. I enjoy taking out the stones and working on my knives. But in a busy professional kitchen I can say that one thing I appreciate about the nenox is that a couple passes on a ceramic rod and it's a razor.

Hope this is enough

Jesse

If you like your nenox 210 you will probably like a nenox 240. They are good knives from my experience. However I am not trying to dissuade you from trying other knives at all. You may also want to look at Yoshikane. Finally there is a list of questions that you can answer here. That will help us narrow the list of possibilities down for you.

:plus1:

That Hide is a great bargain and sounds like what you want... No mention of masamoto? the 240 KS is a lot of knife for the money and a welcome addition to any kit especially with what you are after.

I have used a western handle masamoto vg10 in the past and I liked the way it cut but the handle was a little bulky for my taste. Maybe I just needed to adjust. JohnnyChance is refurbing a left hand handled KS that I'm going to try out when he's done.

The white steel KS is on another par in comparison to Masamoto's VG-10. The handle is quite small for a 240 IMO, However its a D.
They are great cutters, i love mine and it comes out almost daily for me at work... (mainly during heavy veg prep where a nakiri would be slowed)

FYI I absolutely love my nenox (and it's only a g type!) the most wonderful handling western knife I've handled as of yet. I just want a larger more traditional gyuto to either switch to, or be able to use when cutting board space isn't at a premium. I've just recently started using my moritaka petty more and more and have really like the way the handle felt as well as the blades performance. Also recently purchased left handed deba and yanagiba yoshikanes from maxim and am thoroughly enjoying the way they handle fish. Once again I don't "need" a new gyuto but I'm starting to consider if there is a knife out there that can combine the elements I'm enjoying in my new knives with my price range

Back