anyone using vintage cast iron?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cast is king in the kitchen!

I recently scored one of these Griswold #8 Anyone know from the markings approx age of these?

1930-50's, I just cleaned a #6 I bought ages ago. I finally seasoned it this afternoon and I'm cooking on something besides lodge for the first time tomorrow for breakfast. It's like Christmas I'm so excited I might pee myself.

I really want to start using more cast iron in my kitchen. So far I have had terrible luck getting a reasonable seasoning on my new Lodge skillet (using Sheryl Canter's approach with several thin coats of flaxseed oil and baking at high temp.) May have to pick up a vintage piece to see if I have better luck. Most recently I fully stripped the pan and sanded down the high/rough spots and re-seasoned, still not happy with it.

Anyone here looked at Finex skillets? Look to be exceptionally well made, machined flat after casting. Made in Portland, OR. Expensive. http://store.finexusa.com/finex-12-cast-iron-skillet/

that's weird johnstoc. i have a skillet and a grill from Lodge and had no problem seasoning them. i used flaxseed oil but heated them on the stovetop until they smoked.

I thought that Finex stuff was pretty pricey, then I saw the video where they machined the inside flat.

Uh oh......

If I'm going to go vintage and look in the bay what is the best to search for Griswold?

It took me several years to get a really good non stick seasoning on my lodge pans. Last year for Christmas I bought a few griswolds, wagners and Piqua wares and there's no comparison IMO. You can really score on some nice ones if you don't mind waiting for auctions to end and putting in a little bit of elbow grease to clean them up.

just picked up a 8" vintage lodge pan (not sure if it actually is vintage). won it for a buck off the bay :) the shipping cost 17 times more then the pan itself haha.

I have a 24cm Le Creuset cast iron skillet ... that I bought at a flea market in like-new condition, for around $6 :-D

It must be an older one because it is not enameled and has never been. Does anybody know when Le Creuset stopped making those?

Back