Deba sharpening question....

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Recoil Rob

Reaction score
You may have seen in the "Solingen ID" thread that I just received a German made 145mm deba. The blade was poorly sharpened so I started working on it today.

Here's the knife after about 30 minutes on a #250 stone...you can see I am getting close to having a burr on the backside. When this occurs the blue lines will be gone and the front will have a straight grind to the cutting edge.

IMG_0748.JPG
IMG_0749.JPG

Here's a photo of an unused Masamoto 135 I have...

IMG_0750.JPG

Looking at it closely I cannot tell if that bright line at the edge (arrow) is a secondary bevel and if I am suppose to attempt that on the Solingen.

Or... is the bright line on the Masamoto the result of the blade front being slightly hollow ground?

thanks,

Rob

After a bit of research I see that the line on the Masamoto is the exposed hagane, hard steel of the cutting edge. Seeing as how I assume my Solingen rostfrei blade is a uniform steel I will not get that line.

I did see mention of a koba a micro-bevel on the front edge of the deba blade, but honestly, that looks like AP credit, gonna stick with the straight bevel for now.

thanks,

Rob

Back