Dumb question about trimming fish

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Okay, apologies for the really dumb question, but I’ve only got into preparing fish recently (I’m a total novice), but I’m keen to learn tips and techniques, so all advice welcome.

Let me set the scene:
My son and I caught some fish recently, and I prepped them as best I could into fillets. As part of removing the skin, there seemed to be a layer of what looked like “silver skin” left in some places on the belly, where I’d either torn or missed slicing the backing of the skin, and I found this significantly more difficult to trim off than I would have expected.

My question relates to how to effectively remove this “silver skin” (and apologies, I’m not sure if that’s the right term, as that’s what I’d call it on the whole beef rump I was trimming today).

Previously my only experience with fish preparation was slicing pre-trimmed salmon for sashimi.

Let me describe what I’ve tried, and what I’m thinking and feel free to correct:

Okay, so I’ve got a couple of photos of what I’m calling “silver skin” in the bottom left hand corner (but maybe it’s not muscle membrane, maybe it’s a layer of skin):
IMG_1534.jpeg

And here where you can see it above the fat layer:
IMG_1535.jpeg

So, what I’ve tried:

A parallel slice dragging the edge across the top of the fillet:
IMG_1536.jpeg

But at that acute angle I found that either the edge wasn’t digging in to cut the “silver skin” (although you can see beads of fat on the edge), and if I pushed harder, the really soft fillet just compressed, resulting in no better removal of the “silver skin”.
IMG_1537.jpeg

Next I tried a less acute cutting angle and that successfully removed the “silver skin” but left a fairly large “divot” in the fillet.

Next what I tried placing the skin side down on the board, compressing the fillet from above with my hand, and then slicing laterally along the board as thin as I could while still making contact.
That was more successful, and less pock marked result.

I’ve done this a few times now and have the following thoughts, but not sure what’s right or not:
1) Initially I thought maybe the knife wasn’t refined enough to cut cleanly, as I’ve mainly got stainless knives so usually have edges in the <6K range.
2) Then I thought maybe the edge wasn’t toothy enough to catch on the “silver skin”, but I’ve used the same edge fine on trimming silver skin off a beef rump quite happily (I note that mammalian meats appear and behave quite different).
3) I thought maybe the knife wasn’t sharp enough, but it was still cleanly slicing paper towel.
4) I thought maybe my knife was too thick behind the edge that the apex was skidding over the top of the silver skin, so I repeated using my thinnest laser that’s crazy thin behind the edge (pictured) and you can see how the fat beads along the edge, suggesting the apex has made contact with something.
5) I thought the apex angle might be not acute enough, so resharpened as low as I could go freehand, which after stropping ended up probably about 20 degrees per side (started about 10 degrees but got progressively less acute on higher grits to ensure I was hitting the apex).
6) I thought that maybe it wasn’t my tools, it might be a technique thing that I haven’t learnt yet, so posted this to see what suggestions more experienced cooks might have.

Any suggestions welcome

Slice a little bit into the leftover skin, to make what I'll call a "tab". Hold this with your fingers and gently peel it back, while cutting into it.

The parts over the bloodline, you can just trim the bloodline out with the skin on.

interesting. I eat mostly whole fish stuff. but when I do filet, I cut a flap, grab it with a towel and run the blade down the skin. I would clean that stuff in the pic off with a swipe.

I do use a fillet knife.

interesting. I eat mostly whole fish stuff. but when I do filet, I cut a flap, grab it with a towel and run the blade down the skin. I would clean that stuff in the pic off with a swipe.

I do use a fillet knife.
That’s an interesting idea. I don’t have a flexible fillet knife so maybe the compression that I’m getting when attempting to slice parallel to the surface would be reduced with a flexible blade?
I wouldn’t have thought that would have made a difference to the amount of catch in the silver skin / skin remnants, but maybe it would be easier to maintain the edge angle relative to the surface?

Slice a little bit into the leftover skin, to make what I'll call a "tab". Hold this with your fingers and gently peel it back, while cutting into it.

The parts over the bloodline, you can just trim the bloodline out with the skin on.
Ahh okay, haven’t tried that. So you think it’s just a deeper layer of skin that’s still present, and should be treated like skinning?

Back