Gyuto for co-worker

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wbusby1

Reaction score
Hi all,

Looking to help my coworker find a knife that suits her.

She's right handed
Stainless preferred but Stainless Clad or Semi are options
western or short wa (see below)
Rocks most of the time
Uses racquet and pinch grips
210-240 edge
She doesn't know how to sharpen but I can do that for her (but obviously good edge retention is a must here).
Under $300.

She doesn't like her Misono 240 gyuto because she says it's super sticky. She prefers western handles I think, or short wa handles-- she had a minor complaint about the handle on a Kono Fuji being "too long." She liked my T-F and I haven't tried her on other knives yet. Because she doesn't like stiction and because no one likes wedging, I'm thinking hand-forged is the way to go. Yes the price point is going to make this tough. One last thing: She is still learning how to use a knife and she's used to not having a super sharp or delicate knife so I'd like her to have a knife that is more robust and durable (I cringed when she was trying my Kono Fuji).

I would think uraku or gonbei maybe. The SRS15 in the kagero is listed as being less brittle than other PM steels but may still be less forgiving.

Uraku Wa 240 stainless: http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com...u/gesshin-uraku-240mm-stainless-wa-gyuto.html

Gonbei western 240 AUS10: http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com...knives-by-type/gonbei-aus-10-240mm-gyuto.html

I'm not sure what's going to give you the best convexity for sub-$300. Hand forged stainless westerns by custom makers are going to run like $500+. Maybe you can find something on B/S/T?

Gesshin Kagero perhaps?

+1

I would think uraku or gonbei maybe. The SRS15 in the kagero is listed as being less brittle than other PM steels but may still be less forgiving.

I too would go with the Kagero. I've had no issues with chipping and if you'll be doing the sharpening, you will have to do it a lot less often.

I found the stock handle a bit on the thin side which also may be a plus.

Back