Gyuto + Paring vs Nakiri + Sujihiki

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_edge

Reaction score
I like the Nakiri because:

Initial vertical cuts on a half an onion don't require the sharp part of it's blade to hit the board (consider onion geometry here). Dicing plum tomatoes likewise can be done with less blade edge to board contact; adding to edge retention. Nakiri also makes better use of the space on a board than a Gyuto.

Why Sujihiki?

Less drag, or stiction when slicing. With the handle resting on a table or prep surface; can be used like a paring knife by choking up on the blade. If a decent suji is sharpened properly; can't it replace a bread knife as well? Slicing knives have less board to blade contact, and don't require as hard a steel for edge retention.

Great Nakiri's are cheaper than equivalent gyutos: Gesshin Uraku 165mm skd -Note that you can't even find an skd gyuto on this page, or a decent pm gyuto for near that price.

I'm probably suffering from delusions of grandeur, but does this at all make sense? Could a Nakiri + Suji be better; at least for some?

Could a Nakiri + Suji be better; at least for some?

As long as the some doesn't include me, I don't see why not;)

Take back--you get two knives to my one...ooops take back my take back...I've got a bunch of gyutos:)

Personally, I think you're missing a parer/petty from the nakiri + suji combo.
Some people do use a suji in lieu of a gyuoto.

A gyuto is generally quite versatile.
Personally I find the nakiri more as a nice to have alternative.
It's a good option if you're space constrained.

But then everyone is different, whatever works for you :)

How about a santoku and a serrated bread knife? :D

Back