Hello

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrianShaw

Reaction score
”Long time lurker; first time poster”. This is a fascinating forum but for some reason I’ve spent a few years in the background... and now discovered the I “have insufficient privileges to reply” to several threads of interest. Now that I have a bit more free time to participate I hope that situation somehow gets reconciled!

Hello Brian, welcome to the forums. Yes - you need to start a thread like this one and get it approved before you get more access to start threads.

Thank you. I just got started. Looking forward to participating on this forum!

Hi Nemo

Thanks for the welcome. The kitchen knives that interest me are basically whatever cuts the food I’m cooking. :)

Over the years I’ve accumulated an absurdly large collection of kitchen knives. Five times what any normal cook would need.

In order of approximate acquisition date:

Henckels four-star from the 1980s. My first set of real knives. Recommended to me by Wolfgang Puck.
Shun classic and premiere
Forgecraft
Sabatier, both stainless and carbon
A few miscellaneous no-name American carbon steel, including a 12-inch chef knife that is great for slicing pizza and watermelons.

The Forgecraft and Sabatier are in travel bags that I carry when I’m cooking outside my kitchen.

I’m very interested in “real Japanese “ knives but still can’t rationalize how the will better serve my specific needs beyond what I already have.

I’m very interested in “real Japanese “ knives but still can’t rationalize how the will better serve my specific needs beyond what I already have.

Let me help enable....errr... rationalise [emoji16]:

Japanese And Japanese style (there are many Westerners who also make knives in this style) knives tend to be made of pretty hard steel, which will hold a more acute edge angle, making them sharper. This also improves edge retention. The steel tends to be finer grained so that thay can be made keener (a smaller radius at the edge). They tend to be thinner behind the edge. Many have cross sectiinal geometries ("grinds") which improve food release significantly with grind features such as convexity or S-grinds.

There are many different grinds which are available. They tend to be on a continuum between laser thin knives which slide effortlessly trough hard produce but have limited food release (can get stuck in wet foods) and thicker knives (sometimes cakled "workhorses", although this term can also refer to a tough, do anything knife) which don't get stuck in wet produce but can wedge a little (still less than most traditional Western knives) in tall hard produce.

Last edited:
Over the years I’ve accumulated an absurdly large collection of kitchen knives.

Five times what any normal cook would need.

About half of the average number owned by members here then [emoji4]

Back