Identifying Knives and Restoration

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chillip

Reaction score
I'm new to quality kitchen knives and was about to purchase my first ones when I came across some old Japanese ones in storage. Can anyone identify them and tell me if they are any good? I would save a lot by not having to purchase new knives and could just get the stones to sharpen them. I'm also not sure of the type of knife, but the lengths are 230 mm, 200 mm, and 240 mm. Can someone point me to where I should go for tips on restoration, if I need to do so?

26pQI9bl.jpg

mRunYtsl.jpg

Interesting that the last knife is engraved with hiragana rather than kanji.

Interesting that the last knife is engraved with hiragana rather than kanji.

I can read hiragana, but not kanji.... My search didn't come up with too much for miyakoya, but maybe someone else is more knowledgeable.

I like that gyuto, unique. It will definitely be a fun little project :doublethumbsup:

Can you take a closer picture of the kanji on the left blade with dimples. As well as the yanagiba handle, says Sakai something so want to make sure it's the same or two different names in the blade and handle.

Middle blade is Jikko knives. Handle can't tell but probably the same since they are in Sakai.

The miyakoya knife sounds like a restaurant name and a logo above it.

They are all in fairly good condition. Easy repair job. Middle yanagiba will take the longest

Back