Making a nakiri...any tips?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beau Nidle

KKF Sponsor
Reaction score
As the title says, I'm making a nakiri as a test and to try out a new knife shape. I've never even held a nakiri before, so any tips on what makes a good one?

i think most of them are not much tapered, if at all.
i think most of them try to get some weight up front.
180-200g-ish for a 170mm is not uncommon i guess. whereas a santoku of similar size is around 120-170g or so.

As the title says, I'm making a nakiri as a test and to try out a new knife shape. I've never even held a nakiri before, so any tips on what makes a good one?

Some info on my Blenheim F Nakiri (which I love): 150mm blade, 184g total. Balance is at a pinch grip, tho you could put it a bit further forward if you wanted I imagine. And as inferno said above- very little distal taper.

Mine does have a little curve to the blade, which lets my wife go for rocking chops too, tho I'd be equally happy with one that's basically flat.

If most nakiris have very little distal taper, then most are not good nakiris in my book. I like the strong distal taper on my Itinomonn, just measured 4.1mm at the handle, and 1.4mm at the tip of the spine. Personally I prefer the balance this way, feels centered when holding it in a pinch grip. I don't like a heavier tip on a nakiri - that would be more like a cleaver. More importantly, the blade above the tip should be as thin as possible to avoid wedging when dicing onions and the like.

Other things I like - ideal size would be roughly 180mm x 55mm, a flat edge profile with a subtle upwards sweep in the last 1/4 towards the tip, and a rounded tip with a short radius. Call me crazy, but I don't like the Jiro style nakiris with sharp points - they're more like misproportioned cleavers than nakiris.

tl;dr the ideal for me is a Sanjo-style 180mm nakiri

I just finished up a nakiri last week.
I will take some weight measurements this evening when I get home.

Like others mentioned.
A flat profile until the last 20-25% to a slight upsweep belly.
50+mm height.
Distal taper is a preference on a nakiri...some people like a thin front end and some like a nakiri a bit more forward heavy.
I would definitely recommend a 3/4 to full height grind as a nakiris sole purpose is to murder all vegetables with extreme prejudice.

20200805_181125.jpg

Buy a gyotu, break of the tip and presto! some sandpaper if you are into fit and finish.

Don't make the "flat" section of the profile dead flat... Common mistake. Put it on your bench if bench is decently flat and feel the profile. But also I think it's really worth alot to handle some nakiris first, to "feel" a reasonable edge profile, and you will also probably have ~10 tiny detail "aha-s".

Back