Many thanks

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G'day from Western Australia. New to the forum to a certain extent, although I have been using it as my personal library for months! Thankyou all for your unknowing input, it's been great.
After extensive research and watching the enabling on this forum, (hmm...), I have narrowed down my first reasonable J-knife choice to the Wakui 240, or so I thought. I have a 'short' list of about a dozen knives but the Wakui and the Tanaka's really shone for value. I finally decided to go for the Wakui after avoiding the Masamoto KS through indecision more than anything, and then the K&S Tanaka ginsan scored a new handle! Looks like it might get the nod tomorrow, the Wakui will have to wait.:(

Welcome!

Both choices just soo good and you really can't go wrong with either. Flip a coin and come back to the other one later. They're definitely different enough to warrant owning both so you're already well on your way.

Enablers? Where? :D

welcome mate. We seem to be in the same boat, looking forward to more interactions in the future!

Welcome to the forums Mate.

You from Perth?

After all of the talk about Wakui recent days has been making me feel a little enabled too.

The Tanaka Najishi is a cracker of a knife as well. Big bang for your buck. The Ginsan sharpens fairly nicely, but not carbon nice, so be aware that there is a blue2 core version available as well.

If you want some advice, the "Which knife should I buy?" questionnaire can help us narrow the options for you.

Thanks for the welcome guys. I'm in Mandurah, just south of Perth, (a million miles from good knives it seems).

Nemo, that is my Tanaka dilemma. I love sharpening, and part of that is creating the best, sharpest edge possible. Carbon is fine with me, I was leaning toward the Ginsan based purely on reputation. Blue 2 may actually be more 'me', although the handle James slapped on the Ginsan is pretty cool...

May need to start a thread, was only avoiding it as my questions have been asked before!😁

Nah, Manjurah is only about 2000 miles from good knives [emoji6]

We love doing the questionairre over and again, so ask away.

Ginsanko gets plenty sharp for kitchen knives, if not quite as easily as blue 2. I'm barely a good enough sharpener to make blue 2 noticibly more sharp than Ginsanko. You may be better, I don't know. Just be aware that you are not shaving with this knife (I hope), you are cutting food with it, so a bit of toothiness to the edge is useful.

Back