Morihei #1000 vs Arashiyama #1000

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingShapton

Reaction score
After seeing this thread in the BST

https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/morihei-1k-or-imanishi-1k-aus.59781/
I got the idea that
a direct comparison of these two stones would be very interesting!

That's why I'm asking in the right sub-forum for the experiences/impressions of other members here who know both stones and can compare them with each other.

Both are high quality stones with good reputation. I was able to try the Arashiyama #1000 at a friend's and I really liked the stone. I don't know the Morihei myself, but he has his fans too...

So come on folks, there must be someone here who knows both?!

After seeing this thread in the BST

https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/morihei-1k-or-imanishi-1k-aus.59781/
I got the idea that
a direct comparison of these two stones would be very interesting!

That's why I'm asking in the right sub-forum for the experiences/impressions of other members here who know both stones and can compare them with each other.

Both are high quality stones with good reputation. I was able to try the Arashiyama #1000 at a friend's and I really liked the stone. I don't know the Morihei myself, but he has his fans too...

So come on folks, there must be someone here who knows both?!
Do you try Suehiro cerax?? I want to know a comparison between cerax and arashiyama 1000. Currently using cerax 1010 (1000 grit) and I need to buy 800-1000 grit whetstone. So I want to try something new. Eyeing on Morihei Hishiboshi 1000, Arashiyama 1000, gouken arata (chosera) 800, Suehiro debado SNE 1200 (1000 grit)

I've tried Arashiyama 6000 before. Slower cutting stone with good kasumi finish. Good polishing stone for people who wants to achieve that kind of finish.

Do you try Suehiro cerax?? I want to know a comparison between cerax and arashiyama 1000. Currently using cerax 1010 (1000 grit) and I need to buy 800-1000 grit whetstone. So I want to try something new. Eyeing on Morihei Hishiboshi 1000, Arashiyama 1000, gouken arata (chosera) 800, Suehiro debado SNE 1200 (1000 grit)

I've tried Arashiyama 6000 before. Slower cutting stone with good kasumi finish. Good polishing stone for people who wants to achieve that kind of finish.
And that's where it gets difficult for me, I know and love the Cerax 1k for the sharpening feel, but I've only tried the Arashiyama and can only make a comparison from my memory.

An important point in advance, when I talk about stones I'm talking about sharpening, edge quality and thinning. I'm not really interested in polishing or Kasumi and I don't judge stones by that.

The Cerax 1k is hard to beat for the sharpening feel. The Arashiyama also had good feel and feedback (from what I remember) but in that regard the Cerax is king.

I liked the Arashiyama even better in terms of speed and the generated edge, each stone has its special advantages.

But that's exactly why I made this thread, to find members who have both stones and can compare them directly, not just from memory.

If you want to try something new, all the stones you suggested are good, it's always a question of personal feeling which stone suits you...

Finish, Morihei.
Cutting speed, Arashiyama.
Tactile feedback and feel, are both similar.
Both soak up some water first before fully hydrated.
The dishes are pretty similar if I remember.

Arashiyama is slightly more uniform in terms of scratch pattern. Morihei sometimes hides a coarser scratch.

I owned the Morihei and til own the Arashiyama.

Morihei:
Feels finer than 1k.
Annoyed me a bit, as I couldn’t see swarf and metal that easy.
Nice edge.
Can be a bit inconsistent.
Not that fast.
Didn’t dish or clog particularly fast.

Arashiyama
Feels more like a 1k - whatever that is to you.
Fast
Consistent
Nice scratch pattern
Dishes a bit faster

None of them are thirsty in my eyes, but the do drink a bit 👍

I use the Arashiyama as a stepping stone, so I never finish anything on it. But has tested the cutting edge, just prefer my jnats to synth. That’s all

Arashiyama 1000 is the ultimate 1000 grit stone. It cuts faster than any other 1000 stones out there. It’s got very good tactile feel and feedback too. Only second to king 1000. Dishes slower than most other 1000 grit stones. Leaves a slightly better edge also. Doesn’t clog whatsoever. And the price is right. I say this after having tried cerax 1000, king 1000, gesshin 1000, masahiro 1000, morihei 1000, and chosera 1000. Haven’t tried jns 1000, but I would never pay that kind of money for a 1000 stone ever.

Back