New To KKF

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zathorious

Reaction score
Howdy,

I'm a classically trained chef, heading to the super yachts to make my fortune haha. I'm looking to upgrade from my Miyabe and Kikuchi, thought I'd nose around here!

Many thanks,
Z

Howdy,

I'm a classically trained chef, heading to the super yachts to make my fortune haha. I'm looking to upgrade from my Miyabe and Kikuchi, thought I'd nose around here!

Many thanks,
Z

Welcome. I'm not sure if you're serious or being facetious about working on yachts. If serious you might want to look at theses articles from Knife Steels Nerds:
Corrosion Resistance Testing of Stainless Knife Steels
and
What is the Future of Stainless Steel Knife Design
@Larrin participates here on KKF. It is a great community.

Welcome. I'm not sure if you're serious or being facetious about working on yachts. If serious you might want to look at theses articles from Knife Steels Nerds:
and
Looks like I'd be better of with a non carbon steel, which is really what I was looking for, do you have an opinion on the sandvik 14c28n steel?

and

and yes very serious about the yachts, I am doing my STCW the first week of Jan, and Ashburton for a refresher in feb, dropping close to 10k on this endeavour!

Looks like I'd be better of with a non carbon steel, which is really what I was looking for, do you have an opinion on the sandvik 14c28n steel?

14C28N looks great on paper but very few, if any, knife makers are working with it yet. Ginsan, AEB-L, Nitro-V, and D2/SLD11 would be easier to find.
I've known a few people who have worked for the very rich - one as a boat captain, several as gardeners, and one as a chef. I gather it is either really great or hell, depending on the client, with not much room for shades of gray.

14C28N looks great on paper but very few, if any, knife makers are working with it yet. Ginsan, AEB-L, Nitro-V, and D2/SLD11 would be easier to find.
I've known a few people who have worked for the very rich - one as a boat captain, several as gardeners, and one as a chef. I gather it is either really great or hell, depending on the client, with not much room for shades of gray.

I hear the same so crossing my fingers for a good one!

Back