very new here

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So far so good. Then again this Delta variant seems to spread explosively.

Like the rest of the country, we are watching nervously, keeping our fingers crossed that the Victorians can squash it again.

What brings me? . . . . Like most here, an interest in all things to do with sharp things, kitchen knives in particular. Amature home cook, handy in the workshop, more so since retired, and even more in the days of covid restrictions. All things considered, we are doing quite well I guess in our isolation down under, have great concerns for other parts of the world though.
I would be like a lot of non profession cooks I guess and a nice set of knives makes a prep far more enjoyable than a drawer full of rubbish knives. Have more knives than I need but still would like a few more. Learning about the metelergy side of things and different types of blades more and more from those in the know. Likewise with sharpening and stones (another rabbit hole)
Happy to offer advice from my limited knowledge to any folks new to knives. Happy times in the workshop. Make nice end grain cutting boards, knife storage thingies, etc. And recently a few Saya with a bit of a difference to most out there.

Like the rest of the country, we are watching nervously, keeping our fingers crossed that the Victorians can squash it again.
It's a worry, let's hope it's contained.

Would like to share this idea with anyone interested in making their own perfectly fitting Saya, no pin necessary.
Simply glue cork strips (approx 3 x 6mm) to one side, using high tech clamps of course. The cork is flexible enough to follow the blade profile. Allow glue to cure. Sand down the cork to suit the thickness of the blade. Glue the other face to the cork stripes using the same high tech clamps. Sand to final shape. Stain and finish as required.
IMG_0238.JPG
IMG_0241.JPG
IMG_0244.JPG

Correction- The variant currently in Melbourne is the Kappa variant.

Greetings from the great land down under, fellow knife lovers :)

G'day @Old Digger...

I hope to be a happy old fart in the bush with a workshop in my retirement years. Sounds fund. Currently Im slogging it out in the 'big smoke'.

For the international audience (@captaincaed), the Blue Mountains is a large bush wilderness area in NSW. Parts of it are Australia's 'Grand Canyon' (except not as deep or long)... Pity, large parts of it burnt in 2019...

Geeze.... Choosing slightly abstract names for the strains is probably better than blaming a country by association. But why do they keep naming them after B-list celebrities??

Australian Covid variants:

covid.png

Back