Well then American Mutt

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A month or so ago the Baryonyx American Mutt coarse stone came up so I got one..... and was underwhelmed. No big surprise, it costs $7.50. The main issue was it glazed over loosing cutting power easily and required too much pressure to refresh itself.

In recent days the coarse diamond plate I'd been using in my portable setup gave up the ghost and not having any other non soakers, I got the Mutt out. This time before using it I ground about 1/8" of its surface and now low and behold, it's turned into a decent stone. I did 22 knives tonight. It worked super fast and didn't have any of the glazing problems that plagued it before.

For those not familiar with the Mutt, it is as its name suggests, a Mutt. Its made from waste abrasives comprised of Silicon Carbide, Aluminum oxide and trace amounts of diamond in mixed grits. Speaking of grit, my guess is its somewhere in the 100 grit range, requires about 2 minutes of running water, and is a little more friable than a Chosara 400 ( edit to Less ). Feedbacks not the best but good enough to be useful. My main complaint is at 8 x 2 x 1, its not that wide, but seriously, for $7.50....

Would I recommend it? Lets just say at the moment I'm not seeing a reason to replace it. For reprofiling crap steel and Henkel's, its not wasting my time and sets up fine for a low/mid grit progression. Yea, pretty cool.

Last edited:
Back