What is missing?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Epona

Reaction score
Hello everybody! I decided to join here so that I get some help into completing my kitchen knives collection. I'm just home cooking, but appreciate the use of good quality knives. Here in my country Global is a brand that offers such good quality for an affordable price. Therefore, a few years ago I decided to switch to Global completely. Now I have come to the idea that something in my collection is missing, but I cannot decide exactly what?!

Mostly, I do European style cooking and generally prefer smaller type knives. My mostly used knives are the small Santoku and the vegetable chopper. Apart from the knives I have kitchen shears and a peeler. I probably wouldn't find any use for a cleaver.
So, I will appreciate some wise thoughts. Thanks!

This is what I currently have:
26230806_10101089770104540_5640552746941703333_n.jpg

You are in need of a good gyuto, a nice little petty, and possibly a curved bread knife.

Do you have any stones for sharpening?

Are you looking to replace those or fill holes?

If replacing and you like those sizes then you'd want a 180mm santoku or gyuto, a 165mm petty or nakiri (depending on what you use the veggie chopper above to do) and a bread knife. You might need more depending on whether you really never reach for the others or if you do, but just not that often.

240mm/10in chef knife is a missing gap
Maybe 150 - 180mm domestic knife of some type.

10 inches serrated knife/bread knife -- maybe.

the rest of the stuff you have is fine and can fill in as needed.

Nothing wrong with Global, welcome aboard...what country do you call home?

daveb, thanks!

DamageInc, I really wouldn’t trust myself with stones... :shy: Currently I use the 2-step minosharp Global offers.

rickg17, thanks! Filling gaps, not replacing. I love all of them, even though I don’t reach for some that often. I’m thinking about a 90mm paring, 110mm fine serated and now about a 150mm utility also...

HRC_64, thanks! A 150mm sounds like a good idea! I barely use my 200mm chef, so I doubt I will find use for a 240mm one. The 8.5 serated is serving me well, I don’t think I will ever reach for a 10” one. But I will look into some 150mm knives.

chinacats, thank you. It is Bulgaria.

Honestly, most things at home can be done with a utility/paring knife.

In a professional environment you will see bigger knives because when you have to go through cases of onions/carrots/potatoes/etc you need that extra length, it makes things easier, but if we're talking a couple veg then a utility knife is all you really need.

You might want to buy a big german knife for things you wouldn't use your good knives for, like splitting chickens or going through squash.

Personally I don't like global but they are great knives. If you decide to buy a utility knife then try a petty, the japanese equivalent, I recently bought an aogami super gyuto and it's just amazing how it feels.

Back