Wood Supply Oahu and Big Island

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cadberry

Reaction score
Good Morning All,
I am traveling to the Honolulu area and to the Big Island in a few weeks and I was wondering if anyone knows of a good source of wood for handles. I know where to find stuff on the internet but buying locally on a trip gives things a special meaning for me. Thanks for the help.
Anthony

If you find quality Koa, let me know. I have a guy who does a great job stabilizing.

Good Morning All,
I am traveling to the Honolulu area and to the Big Island in a few weeks and I was wondering if anyone knows of a good source of wood for handles. I know where to find stuff on the internet but buying locally on a trip gives things a special meaning for me. Thanks for the help.
Anthony
I work a lot on the islands. I’m actually flying out on Sunday. I was thinking the same thing... I wanted to look for some wood on this trip and see what I could find. I know on Oahu there are a few wood carvers along the road between Honolulu and the north shore, a couple have shops and literally piles of scraps that they won’t be using for what they do. Koa, Mango and other woods is what they carve so that might be something to look at. There are wood retailers for Koa on the island, I see them on eBay and such so it would be a matter of spending sometime finding where they are. You know somewhere on the those islands is pile of amazing wood or at least a big piece with your name on it. Good luck in your search!

If anyone is interested I found Aloha Woods just north of Kailua Koa, by the Costco, to have a good selection of woods with small pieces too. I was told Kamuela Hardwoods in Waimea is also good but they were closed when I was there. Prices at Aloha were good compared to little shops that were selling scrap pieces of un-figured koa at ridiculous prices. Mahalo.

I have heard reports of (small) pieces of true sandalwood being available from branches found in the jungle after being detached by storm winds (this is a protected species, so no legal lumbering). Has anyone ever run across such material?

Back