Yaginoshima Asagi or Oouchi

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grunt173

Reaction score
I'm kicking around the idea of one of these naturals but which one and why, to follow my aoto and aizu ? Opinions please.

The real question is what and why do you want after your current stones.

The real question is what and why do you want after your current stones.
That sure is a fair question and I see where you are coming from.Frankly,I don't know the answer to that.I like my aoto and aizu but thought I would throw a nice finisher into the mix.I have used the aizu as my finisher beings that it is the only natural stone I have pass the aoto. I have so many synthetics but guess I am just seeking enjoyment from naturals without going to deep in the hole but wanting to spend my money where it counts the most as in the return that the natural stone may give. I don't like a lot of refinement and like a bit of bite,if you will.I could be wrong in thinking of going beyond the aizu though but not sure.

Going beyond the Aizu you’ll sacrifice some bite but oouchi is the one that’ll keep the most bite out of the two

Which kind of aoto do you have? Those coarse 1-2k (tamba, kouzaki) or the harder, finer ones (atagoyama red/green aoto)3k-4k? If you have the coarser ones, you could try tsushima, but that won't be much of a help if you already have those finer aotos. In that case, I'd just get a fast suita.

Going beyond the Aizu you’ll sacrifice some bite but oouchi is the one that’ll keep the most bite out of the two
Is the Oouchi to close to the Aizu to even consider? I haven't read much about the Yagi so don't know if it is a good stone or even an enjoyable one.

This, you probably max out on the clean but toothy edge department with Aizu. The Yaginoshima will likely be way finer and less toothy edge, the Oouchi will keep more bite and from what I have seen and tried they can be easy polishers too if that's something you wanna get into.

Is the Oouchi to close to the Aizu to even consider? I haven't read much about the Yagi so don't know if it is a good stone or even an enjoyable one.

Not at all and the edge will be different in feel too. Aizu maxes out 4k-ish oouchi is more forthcoming with mud starting at about 6k and capable of further slurry breakdown to a good 8k

This, you probably max out on the clean but toothy edge department with Aizu. The Yaginoshima will likely be way finer and less toothy edge, the Oouchi will keep more bite and from what I have seen and tried they can be easy polishers too if that's something you wanna get into.
Just the kind of info that helps me.Thanks valgard.

Not at all and the edge will be different in feel too. Aizu maxes out 4k-ish oouchi is more forthcoming with mud starting at about 6k and capable of further slurry breakdown to a good 8k
Just as I told valgard,this is the kind of info that helps me in my choice.Thanks Badgertooth.

I own both and use the Yaginoshima the most (it was also significantly cheaper).

I don't take any gyutos past 4k so I only use either of these stones on my nakiri, and in that context the Yaginoshima works for me.

I have a Shobudani Suita that actually leaves a very keen but toothy edge. It's a very hard and glassy stone most of the time. A few quick passes of the atoma over it and it becomes something completely different. Have read something about the Shobudani stones being very porous from gasses. Seems to make sense.

I have a very fine yaginoshima asagi - it's super hard, not that useful for knives imo - better for chisels / planes.

I have a Shobudani Suita that actually leaves a very keen but toothy edge. It's a very hard and glassy stone most of the time. A few quick passes of the atoma over it and it becomes something completely different. Have read something about the Shobudani stones being very porous from gasses. Seems to make sense.
There's plenty of finer, yet toothy stones, and this is even more so with some rough slurry. But in my personal experience/perception none like the edge from Aizu. I have obviously not tried your particular stone tho but that 3-5K edge but super cleanly demurred is what I like 80% of the time on my gyutos.

Thank you all. I have ordered an Oouchi for yet another sharpening experience. I hope I like it as much as my Aizu.

Back