• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

SOLD Yamashiro Motoyama Tenjou Suita

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ared715

Knife lover, but true stoner at heart!
Reaction score
Hey yall.
Up for sale is a chunky, Kasumi making machine! If you like dark cladding and huge contrasting Kasumi finish, look no further! This is one of the most effective stones at creating a smooth and even Kasumi finish with ease. It's a confidence boosting stone in that results are quick as the stone cuts insanely fast for a softer stone.

See in the photos but black swarf is immediately released upon the first stroke and it keeps on cutting through the sharpening session.

Let's break down the name as these generic terms such as Shohonyama, Motoyama and Honyama can be very confusing and misleading.

This stone (Yamashiro Motoyama) was quarried in the 1920's in the Umegahata region. No specific mine name was attached from the Wholesaler. It came stamped with the Yamakyo stamp on the face along with the side of the stones the other Kanji reads (Yamashiro Motoyama Suita).

The stone started a creamy light buff color with underlying renge, nashiji and shades of blue, leading to the Tanjou Suita hypothesis. Tanjou Suita is the Strata that Uchigumori comes from and this stone performs on par with many great uchigumori and its finer than most cheap Uchi on the market today. Not to mention, much more affordable than quality Uchigumori, regardless of the mine. There are spots of Namazu throught the height of the stone that will eventually surface and eve what looks to be karasu/suminagashi or kuro renge down the lapping line.

With further lapping, the stone will most likely turn blue with pink renge over time and with over 30mm in height, the stone will last a lifetime.

It can be used as a prefinisher on razors with light touch and careful nagura selection.

This stone shines on knives and tools however. I think it would really be great for Honyaki as it cuts so darn fast.

Polish is dark,smoky jigane with bright hazy core steel. On a few of my clad blades, it forces out some extra detail around the cladding line as well. Similar to a high quality uchigumori. On wrought iron, this stone would be bonkers!

Edges from the stone are toothy and bitey and tomato skins, apples and bell peppers beware!

If I had to make a comparison to another mine/Stone I would definitely call this a hybrid of Hideriyama Suita, Ohira Suita, Shobudani suita and Maruoyama Ao Suita all together!

There is a thin line going up the middle of the stone laterally and it doesn't affect anything ATM. I've tried my hardest to get it to scratch cladding/release coarse particulate with razors, knives and kiridashi and I haven't had any issues thus far.

Stone is sealed on all sides with side stamps preserved.

Measurments: 140×100×35. 1080 grams

LV 3.2
FAST: 4.5
FINE: 3.7

Price: $350 or best offer. shipping with USPS priority.

Prefer US sales through PayPal but international, we can certainly talk of you're willing to pay shipping.

20240505_082511.jpg

20240505_082523.jpg
20240505_082527.jpg

20240505_082537.jpg

20240505_082544.jpg

20240505_082551.jpg

20240505_082758.jpg

20240505_082913.jpg

20240505_083105.jpg

20240505_083254.jpg

Last edited:
Let's go 300$ for the superficial line.
Remember, offers are always welcome! Stone will come with a hideriyama suita tomo nagura as well.

Back