ZDP-189 Gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it an optical illusion or does that thing have a ton of belly? Looks handsome though.

Not as much as the picture may suggest, the spine and handle all have a slight curve aswell with may look deceiving. There is about 2.5"-3" of flat at the start of the blade. Infact better option, picture!

IMG_0229_800x600.jpg

Just a small update on the old Tanaka. I have sharpened it a few times and find it very easy to take an edge. The edge is so thin to begin with that very little metal needs removed. I have put a 13 degree per side edge on the blade and have had zero chipping problems. However the most im pressive part of this knife for me is how long the edge lasts. It has had a week of pretty hard use since i sharpened it, having to chop for a couple of weddings. I havnt babied it in the slightest, throwing squash, turnip etc. at it. So far the edge is still able to shave arm hair (albeit with a few passes now). And to top off the poor things hardship, all its use has been on poly boards. My recent addition of the borosilicate rod has no doubt helped but the knife really is amazing.

One minor niggle is that the small etch scratch mentioned above seems to be laughing at me. I was thinking about re-etching the knife but then thought i might just take the etch off and try it without for a while? Not sure. What do you guys think?

If you don't care about the look of the etch, go for it. I might peform a little better or possibly worst, if you get more sticking.

Back