Quantcast
ginsanko tanakas on ebay - Page 12
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: ginsanko tanakas on ebay

Quote Originally Posted by MowgFace View Post
    Sweet!!! I'd love to see pics and hear your opinions/experiences in comparison to knerd's

Mowgs
    I offered my Tanaka blue as a passaround a year ago. Some comments in the thread.

IMO, if the heat treat is good and ginsanko can hold an edge for a while and the handle is good, then this is still a good deal. I dont mind fixing a few things myself in exchange for a low price. Maybe its just me, but it appears that pandas tanaka is thicker than Knifenerds...i guess thats because its a 270mm.

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    IMO, if the heat treat is good and ginsanko can hold an edge for a while and the handle is good, then this is still a good deal. I dont mind fixing a few things myself in exchange for a low price. Maybe its just me, but it appears that pandas tanaka is thicker than Knifenerds...i guess thats because its a 270mm.
    Yeah man, the steel is great. I worked it out pretty hard yesterday and other than some micro-chips on the edge, it's doing really well. I can't believe it's stainless!
    Or, in my best Fabio voice "I can't believe it's not carbon."
    I keep on wiping it down and expecting to see some discoloration or reactivity, but no.
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

I got it because of supposed likeness to carbon ginsanko is said to be. Bonus is that profile is awesome.

I got my 210 gyuto a few days ago. Shipping took like two weeks (to Sweden). But I asked them to change the handle to an octagonal instead, so I think that's a pretty ok shipping time actually.

Haven't had the time to test it out properly yet, and currently I'm oiling the handle. It's by no means scary sharp OOTB, and since I'm just beginning to learn how to sharpen with stones, I guess this will be my sharpening practice knife.

F&F is ok, considering the price. The spine is not too sharp, whereas the choil could have been smoother. Some scratch marks on the ferrule and the handle.

My only concern so far is that the machi extends below the ferrule, not by a lot and I hardly notice it when I pinch grip it. But a couple of times when I've picked up the knife, my index finger has gotten caught on that sharp choil. I might do something about that sometime.

Perhaps when you round the edges on the choil, you can also hit the area around the machi too. This knife definitely doesn't sound perfect, but for the heat treat and quality steel used, It seems like a great knife to pimp out too ones own taste.

mine came with literally no edge. still haven't even put it to use because i don't want to even bother without serious thinning which i havent had any time to do lately, lol. have a rosewood&pakkawood handle already waiting for it.

knyfeknerd did the rehandle plus rounding of spine&choil and is thinning mine out. letting me use his 240 in the meantime. surprisingly it's actually slightler taller at the heel and has a lot of belly. his already has major work done, i touched up the edge with a JKS 3000 stone (which was super easy) and my god is this steel freaking awesome! not as good of a cutter as the itk probably due to geometry but i swear the steel feels even better than aeb-l and what ever steel masa vg is on the board/going through food. gonna put it to rigorous use tomorrow and report back to see how it holds up.

sounds like theres a decent amount of inconsistency within tanakas ginsanko line. Im probably going to request a thinner one, with a flatter profile. Im curious what is possible.

did a lot of prep with it last night, after 3 cases of bell peppers was still going right through the skin like butter. i like this tanaka so much i'm curious about trying his damascus blue #2 as my first carbon but everything's out of stock at the moment.

let us know how he responds to your request. fyi he doesn't reply to emails, only the 'inquiry' method through metalmaster website. while you're at it would you mind asking if he can do different lengths? a 255mm perhaps?