ginsanko tanakas on ebay

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like a prime canidate for a rehandle IMO. Thanks for taking one for the team!
I already have a handle made for it. I really need a short(er) stainless gyuto for the line. I've got a pretty sweet handle that's in need of a knife, so happy birthday to me!

Also says,

"Is finished skin of pear"

Definitely stainless clad...he reiterated it is "ginsan sandwich by stainless"...

this makes the knife a lot more attractive to me now, but my wallet can't handle it yet. post a review so I can enjoy it vicariously :biggrin:

theres some stuff im waiting for from blue way, but if certain restocks dont happen, im going to grab the 270mm wa gyuto from the website. only $160!

They do sound a little robust; 3mm spine on the 210...

Hopefully, like most Tanakas, its nicely thin behind the edge.

Can't wait for review!

They do sound a little robust; 3mm spine on the 210...

i bet these taper quite quickly so nothing to worry about.

Hopefully, like most Tanakas, its nicely thin behind the edge.

willing to bet this as well

=D

This line has been around for a while BTW. I Searched on google and found some discussion at knife forums 4 years ago about them. The feedback was pretty positive.

Review and some pictures would be great!
I narrowed my next purchase down to Tanaka 240mm or Moritaka 240mm gyuto. Both are similarly priced.

Takeshi at metalmaster just confirmed with me that the knife is 100% stainless. The handle is d shaped but for an extra $5 you can get an octogon handle instead. All lefties can rejoice now.

I narrowed my next purchase down to Tanaka 240mm or Moritaka 240mm gyuto. Both are similarly priced.

I consider Tanakas world class. Get it and run!

I consider Tanakas world class. Get it and run!

You're making this very hard on me. I've got more knives than fit in my ultimate edge bag and I still feel like buying a blue 2 tanaka. Ugh.... Addiction is a B!TCH lol

I've got more knives than fit in my ultimate edge bag and I still feel like buying a blue 2 tanaka. Ugh.... Addiction is a B!TCH lol

got that right. got the same bag. lol.

If you're interested in Moritaka, read about the overgrind issues. Seems a consistent problem with the Moritakas, which is unfortunate. They get very sharp quite easily.

OP: I'll be curious to see the profile when you get. One of the pics seems like a fairly flat profile with a dropped tip, and the other pics seem more curved - or at least angled up - and not as dropped at the tip.

If you're interested in Moritaka, read about the overgrind issues. Seems a consistent problem with the Moritakas, which is unfortunate. They get very sharp quite easily.

this is my concern as well with these more "rusticly made" knives. inconsistency in overall quality.

in another forum, they just love to defend moritaka's overgrind issues and say it's almost nonexistent.

but from tanaka, i'd say those are pretty well made stuff, at least from what i've read about them.

Fwiw, I've got two Moritakas, and neither has grind problems. Both are the premium AS line, though, and it's the #2 stuff that has gotten most of the complaints.

These Tanakas are indeed tempting.

not saying that i wouldn't grab a moritaka for cheap if i had the chance, just saying that there are some that have that problem. and if it was cheap and used, i would grab one in a heartbeat, if i had the cash that is.

i don't mind working on a few knives to get them to how i want them.

=D

I know about the overgrind issues, I spoke with Akiko and she said they will take extra care when choosing knife for me and that I can return it at their expense if I find any issues with it. If I had to buy Moritaka from well known knife vendor I wouldn't even consider it as I don't want to give him any business, but if I can buy directly from manufacturer then I have no problem with that. At this point I set any prejudice aside and my only criteria is performance, aesthetics and general feeling, and right now I'm leaning towards Moritaka. 240mm Aogami #2 gyuto is 120 usd including shipping, so the difference is negligible.

Just because of the overgrind issue I wouldn't go that way. I picked up a Tanaka 270 gyo. last mo. LOVE IT. Btw I have 3 Tanaka's a petty, and a santoku. Both are re handled. The 270 I got from metal master, I have not had any of the problems I did with the other 2 I got off of the bay.

I will post some pics of my knives soon.

Well since the last time the purported issues arose, not one single case has been brought forth to any forum. I would say if there was an issue, someone would have let us know over the last 18 months; especially since when you Google Moritaka, half the hits bring you to this forums talk of overgrinds.

I think the current price of the AS is too high, and in the #2 price range, I'd go Tanaka myself; I just wouldn't base it on "the mysterious overgrind".

Back