ginsanko tanakas on ebay

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Moritakas are either crap or treasure depending on who you ask. But I would rather hear more thoughts instead about tanaka! looking forward to somebody posting pics soon!

now if only the post stops stealing my stuff when I buy them online. already lost a couple this year alone. I would buy the stuff from the j blade sellers on ebay.

I can only buy from the US coz I use a different courier that doesn't tax me and ships it to me way faster than everyone else.

couldnt resist and ordered the 270mm, will post when it arrives. currently enjoying a thinned and reprofiled addict 1st gen (basically a laser now) as my first wa handled gyuto. count me in as a yo to wa convert. octagon only though, can't stand d shape or round/oval. although my favorite handle so far is from takayuki damascus petty which is some sort of hybrid shape. octagon but bottom bevels rounded.

Well since the last time the purported issues arose, not one single case has been brought forth to any forum. I would say if there was an issue, someone would have let us know over the last 18 months; especially since when you Google Moritaka, half the hits bring you to this forums talk of overgrinds.

I've seen many bad ones in that time frame but I've been hesitant to report them because of the backlash I receive whenever I speak up on the subject.

I think the current price of the AS is too high, and in the #2 price range, I'd go Tanaka myself; I just wouldn't base it on "the mysterious overgrind".

It's only mysterious to those who either can't or won't see it.

Most of the Moritakas I see are from newbies who make this their first purchase (because cheap AS steel seems like a bargain) but they have zero idea of what an overgrind is.

Dave, I don't think you have to worry too much. I think everyone here knows about the issues with the Moritakas. That you've continued to see evidence of lack of QC is valuable information. I think it's fair to say that there are some good ones and some very flawed ones. Unfortunately, a lot of folks won't find out which one they have until it's too late. It occurred to me as I was typing that part of the Moritaka attraction is that they have the same rustic vibe of the Takedas but lack the serious price tag. I guess some of that savings might be in the lack of QC. They definitely can be a diamond in the rough, but sometimes a rough diamond is just that, flaws and all.

I have a Tanaka Blue which while a little unrefined in the F&F department is nothing short of a cutting machine. Wicked thin grind behind the edge and the steel just hangs forever. It just goes and goes and goes. If the ginsan blades are anything like the blue, they're real contenders in the bang for the buck department, especially if you like the slightly rustic quality.

I have a weird Tanaka 215mm R2 Wa-gyuto. Fantastically thin behind the edge. Just an amazing cutter. Spine and choil were sharp as all get out but I've since rounded them nicely. Also, this one came with a simple octagonal handle with a horn ferrule which was much much nicer than his usually talked down upon d shaped handle.

The last three Moritakas I got in were from one customer, 2 of them I refused to work on but took a chance on the 3rd and that one turned out perfect. The other two weren't questionable at all though, they were 100% screwed up, just waiting to ruin someone's day. I still stand by my statement of 7 out of 10 are whacked.

Tanakas have been much better for me. I've seen some hammer marks and low spots on blade roads of yanagibas but overall they've been good knives. Their R2 damascus double bevels are particularly nice knives that get ferociously sharp very easily.

Takeda knives have been hit & miss on quality in the last few years. In the old days these knives were almost always perfect in all ways but today I see cladding missing, weird profiles that vary all over the place, and often they're seen thick just above the edge and I mean REAL thick. One thing these knives have never had is overgrinds - Takeda bevels are nearly perfect and ready for the stones.

The last three Moritakas I got in were from one customer, 2 of them I refused to work on but took a chance on the 3rd and that one turned out perfect. The other two weren't questionable at all though, they were 100% screwed up, just waiting to ruin someone's day. I still stand by my statement of 7 out of 10 are whacked.

Tanakas have been much better for me. I've seen some hammer marks and low spots on blade roads of yanagibas but overall they've been good knives. Their R2 damascus double bevels are particularly nice knives that get ferociously sharp very easily.

Takeda knives have been hit & miss on quality in the last few years. In the old days these knives were almost always perfect in all ways but today I see cladding missing, weird profiles that vary all over the place, and often they're seen thick just above the edge and I mean REAL thick. One thing these knives have never had is overgrinds - Takeda bevels are nearly perfect and ready for the stones.

Makes me wonder what process Takeda and Moritaka use for their grinds. Maybe Takeda uses a jig of some kind and Moritaka grinds by hand or maybe Takeda is just really good?

The Moritaka I have exhibits some issues, thankfully none that affect the edge, but there are some "holes" high on the knife. I knew this when I bought it, so no big deal, I was aware and decided that since it didn't affect the performance it wasn't a bother. I've thinned it out so I know there aren't any hidden holes in the blade. Truthfully, it's a decent knife and performs well, but I can't honestly say I'd take a risk on one without being able to check it out first.

I've looked at a lot of them (Moritakas) trying to figure out what the problem is and it seems to me that some of them are errant hammer strikes too close to the edge on one side of the knife while others are just over grinding. I wish that I could show them the problem in person because I'm certain that they could make corrections to avoid it from happening.

I think that's the biggest issue; how the problem has been handled. I've heard people, very recently, have had good interaction with Moritaka directly. Maybe they're starting to pay attention.

I know first hand Shigeki Tanaka will give you very personal service. I will vouche for Tanaka all day...

There's just so much cool stuff to try out there that getting hung up on any one maker seems silly to me these days.

how long does it usually take to process an order? i placed mine on monday and i have yet to receive any sort of confirmation. i've sent out two emails asking for a status update with no response...
really looking forward to trying silver3 steel, hopefully the geometry and profile are good. if the handle's a piece of crap i've already got a replacement planned.

and how the hell did this thread get turned into moritaka discussion!?

You will very likely receive no email communication and then just one day see your package arrive... if you chose shipping by SAL, probably in a month's time, maybe a little more. Personally I think the Tanaka handles are alright - basic and functional, needing replacement only for cosmetic reasons.

i'd be perfectly fine if it just shows up provided it doesn't take more than two weeks. ems from japan usually arrives less than a week. how a handle looks is not much important to me, how it functions and feels on the other hand i feel is very important in overall knife satisfaction. if it's of usable quality (as in no complaints) then i would feel no need to have it replaced.

I get the sense that Takeshi doesn't ship out right away, so 2 weeks with EMS might be okay... Tough to say.

Oh, and the handle should be a-ok in terms of feel and function. I happen to like them just fine.

Thanks for the info Len.
I ordered mine on Apr 2nd. I've sent 3 emails and one "inquiry" via the Metalmaster site and have received no reply.
I hope the good things come to those that wait!

Takeshi is reliable in that you will get what you ordered, it'll be good quality, and any attempts to contact him will be like sending your emails into a black hole.

I've ordered from him a few times, and yeah, the total lack of communication was disconcerting the first time or two :)

I ordered a 210mm Ginsanko Gyuto from him recently, and emailed him asking if he could replace the original handle on the knife. And believe it or not, he replied! It took a few days, and it was written in rather poor English, but still.

I actually just got an email from Takeshi apologizing for the delay.

I don't even want to start about his Swedish! :D

I bet since English is not his first language, he only replies to "important" messages. I can't blame him, as it must be tough to do business in a language that you struggle with. That would be like me selling to a French or Portuguese customer. I could do it, but it would be more work than I'd like.

What matters is you get a quality piece, every time (minus the anomalies). I'm sure it's frustrating, but his reputation is solid.

Hey, good to hear! I never got any replies from him ever - I guess my questions didn't make it to the "important" pile :)

I bet since English is not his first language, he only replies to "important" messages. I can't blame him, as it must be tough to do business in a language that you struggle with. That would be like me selling to a French or Portuguese customer. I could do it, but it would be more work than I'd like.

What matters is you get a quality piece, every time (minus the anomalies). I'm sure it's frustrating, but his reputation is solid.

Very true.

what did he say? and from which email account? because even the paypal address is different.
I used the "inquiry" form on the Metalmaster site. I'm sure he's shipped yours out too, especially since we're in the same city.

I just bought a Tanaka from him and he replied very promptly about changing the D handle with an octagon handle. Can't wait to see it!

Personally I like the looks of the Tanaka,think the skin of the pear finish is cool & may aid in food release.I have bought a few cheaper forged carbon blades wt. fit & finish issues,but good steel,its almost like they take care of important part & the rest if it bothers you can fix yourself.

I have been reading about G-3 steel,some people really like it,have never used or sharpened it,interested to see some feedback on this blade,I don't care about thicker spine so much as long as it is thinner behind the edge.

Back