What brands did I miss?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bohan

Reaction score
I spent the day looking for a set of serrated steak knives that I'll mostly use for things other than steak such as rolls, tomatoes, and various raw meat. I had a set of cheap steak knives without a full tang and one broke while trimming a pineapple. Then I experimented with a full tang utility knife and in about a year it broke at the first rivet when I pressed down on raw chicken. So...IDK...a wider or thicker tang, especially at the rivet holes may work. Or a full tang with no rivets. I like having a set of four so I can have a couple in the sink and still have another available. I like serrations because it makes some things, like bread, easier to cut, and I have an oval diamond sharpener. I want serrations down the entire length of the blade. About $50 for a set of 4 is within my comfort range. Any brands or specific knives I should look at in that price range?

I just realized that the utility knife with the rivet that broke didn't have a bolster. A bolster probably takes some pressure off the rivets. I may be buying Norpro steak knives (item 1211). I found them at 2 for $19.68.

Welcome to the foum!

Based on what you say that you are looking for, I would suggest Cutco steak knives, although they are well outside your price range. :poke1:

Seriously though, full tangs and rivet counts are a marketing gimmick that mean nothing with respect to the quality of a knife. The same thing goes for bolsters. Serrations aren't widely preferred since it makes sharpening difficult. I am not familiar with Norpro steak knives, so I can't say anything for or against them. If you just want a quick answer that fits your criteria, I'd suggest Victorinox Fibrox serrated steak knives. Victorinox makes very good cutlery for the price.

If you are interested in getting some real kitchen knives for trimming pineapple, cutting tomatoes and raw meat, I'm sure the people here would be happy to educate you.

The recurring theme in things I shop for seems to be I need something slightly better than crap in a certain way and I'm willing to pay twice the crap price but I still can't find it. I'll decide soon. I'm avoiding pineapples until I make a decision.

Welcome Bohan. Peeling pineapples is best with a sharp chef knife, like a 240mm Gyuto. If you sharpen serrations on a steak knife with oval diamond sharpener, you can learn to sharpen a Gyuto on a whetstone. Better for tomato's & meats too.

Don't mean to derail your train of thought, but having one sharp quality chef knife will take care of your needs.

My fine edge chopping knife is too dull for my diamond sharpener to fix and I'm thinking of replacing it so a new chef knife is a possibility. I might as well try a grinding stone on my drill first.

Have you compared the cost of electricity to run the drill to the replacement cost of the knife? Seems like a wash and replacing would be easier.:groucho:

Actually, I'm curious how well I can sharpen it on some random stone in its natural habitat. I know a place by the shore. I wouldn't have to worry about wearing out the stone.

Back