Help me find a knife - New or used

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strumke

Reaction score
I'm looking to replace my Henkels Pro S knife block slowly with a range of chefs knifes (small 6-7", medium 8.25-9", & large 11.5"). I already have the large slot filled.

Gyuto or Funayuki shapes seem to fit the bill. I am open to buying used to make more of the money, but I can't post new threads in the B/S/T forum yet

>USA

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
>Chef/Gyuto/Funayuki

Are you right or left handed?
>Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
>Either, depending on the knife. I would prefer something with a nicer finish than Ho wood & plastic, but am open to rehandling a Wa myself.

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
>Either 6-7" (150-170mm) or 8.25-9" (210-240mm)

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
>No

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
>$450 (closer to $400 is better)... used is okay too if I can get more value out of that $$

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
>Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
>Slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats... general meal prep

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
>Henckels Professional S set

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
>Pinch

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
>Rocking (as defined in the guide here, not "herb chopping" rocking), push-cut, slice
>(I would like to do more push cutting and improve my technique there)

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
>Ability to get a way better edge than the germans
>The feeling of almost effortless slicing, but nothing so thin that the knife needs to be babied. I'd rather err on the beefy side if it's in danger of chipping.

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?
>I'm drawn to both rustic as well as highly finished, but I don't like cheap handles (Ho wood & plastic ferrule). It looks reasonably feasible to replace a Wa handle, so I'm open to attempting that myself.
>I do like "unique-ness", so something hand made, not widely available speaks to me. I'm okay waiting a few months for something as well.

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?
>Excellent balance with a pinch grip. Rounded spine/choil is a nice to have, but I'm also okay doing that myself or having that done by someone.

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?
>Something with a good flat, but it must have at least a little bit of a belly (nothing as flat as a santoku)
>I want something that I can get way finer than the Henckles, but I don't want something prone to chipping

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
>It's for home use, so I'm okay having to touch up the edge a bit more often if that's the trade off.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
>Mostly end grain walnut

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
>I will soon... 320, 1000, 5000 Shapton stones are on the way from Japan

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS
I have used a Carter SFGZ that ended up being a bit too short (in height) to keep a permanent spot. I LOVE the feeling of cutting with the thin White #1 blade. I also have a Bloodroot 01 Tool Steel Gyuto that I really like too, however, the feel of cutting with the Carter edge blew it away, BUT I've only used both out of the box with no other sharpening.

Some knives that I like based on my browsing, but open to others as well, are:
-Devin Thomas (no clue on the cost or potential availability though)
-Murray Carter Gyuto or Funayuki (cost might be a problem in the lengths I mentioned, and I prefer something more unique than Muteki)
-Fujiwara Denka no Hoto 210mm (I like the rustic-ness, and the story of the maker) - This seems to fit a lot of the criteria above, is it the right way to spend $400?
-Marko

I do want something that wouldn't be considered a 'production' knife that has character, and I'm open to both new or used

Although you are in the US, your telling that you would like a bit of belly reminded me the Itinomonn gyutos that Maksim offers at JNS http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/itinomonn-kasumi-210mm-wa-gyuto/ I have it at 240mm (now out of stock), but if you would like the bigger version maybe if you shoot Maksim a message, you could work it out (this for the carbon version). The choil doesn't come rounded (at least mine didn't), but this knife is no doubt a step up from your Henckels. The 240mm stainless version is on stock right now http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/itinomonn-stainless-kasumi-240mm-wa-gyuto/
Just to make it clear, the belly is not huge, is just a big more pronounced than most japanese gyutos around. My personal preference is no belly, but i like this one.

Thank you for the suggestion, I think I want a little more 'flair' to the knife though

I don't want to stress the need for too much of a belly, I really just want to exclude extremely flat edges since I do tend to roll a bit as I slice and don't want to dig the tip into the board. I know it's not great to constantly be cutting the board with the tip, so I'm going to work on more of a push cut, once I have a knife I can put a good edge on.

In that case, if you are willing to pay a little bit more i would suggest this one. I have the 210mm version and it is nothing short of great. But it is more laserlike than a workhorse gyuto: https://toshoknifearts.com/shop/knives/tanaka-240mm-gyuto-damascus-r2-ebony

I use a Fujiwara Denka No Hoto Nakiri and it is very nice too. Especially how it cuts. However, if you are looking for great f&f Tanaka R2, Shigefusa, Yoshikane are some that offer great blades and great f&f also. For instance http://www.epicedge.com/shopexd.asp?id=89951

Good luck!

Thanks, those look more along the lines of what I was thinking of.

The 210 Tanaka is right at the top of my budget (the price of the 240 won't work with the Mrs.). I realize that your Fujiwara is a different shape, but are you able to make a comparison about the steel (cut quality, edge retention, etc) between the Tanaka and the Fujiwara?

Both are extremely sharp. The Tanaka's f&f is superior, but i suspect the edge retention of the Fujiwara will be better due to the steel, aogami super (didn't need to sharpen neither yet). I'm so happy with the nakiri, i'm planning to buy a gyuto in the future. Probably my sharpest nakiri. Regarding the Tanaka R2, it is hard to get much better stainless steel than that. And it is good looking too!

Back