A Question About Peanut Butter

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peanut Butter Is...

• Basically like butter, certainly don't need both.

• Nothing like butter, nominative determinism doesn't apply to spreads.

Results are only viewable after voting.
So a while back I was shocked to learn that there are significant number of people out there, who if making a piece of toast with peanut butter... do not butter the toast first.

They regard peanut butter as some kind of butter substitute, that can happily be eaten on an otherwise dry piece of toast, just because it's called 'peanut butter'. What joyless breakfast times these people must endure!

So I was wondering: What say you in the Land of the Free™? I imagine you invented peanut butter, surely you know better than this nonsense...

Jeezus, do you put butter on your cheeseburgers too?

Honestly the only time I want butter on a sammich is on the outside of the bread and fried up in a pan like a grilled cheese.

It’s not that I object to butter on the inside, it’s just that butter feels so unhealthy (yet delish) that I when eat it I want it to be front and center and distinctly noticeable. If it’s just gonna blend in and disappear then I’d rather save my butter consumption budget for something like honey butter spread or French buttercream icing.

Honestly the only time I want butter on a sammich is on the outside of the bread and fried up in a pan like a grilled cheese.

It’s not that I object to butter on the inside, it’s just that butter feels so unhealthy (yet delish) that I when eat it I want it to be front and center and distinctly noticeable. If it’s just gonna blend in and disappear then I’d rather save my butter consumption budget for something like honey butter spread or French buttercream icing.
I am here to tell you that butter IN a sandwich does not disappear, at least in a jambon beurre. It's a critical component.

I am here to tell you that butter IN a sandwich does not disappear, at least in a jambon beurre. It's a critical component.

In that type of format I wouldn’t want a thin room-temperature spread, but thick chunks of cold, cultured butter that I can sink my teeth into. Butter’s pretty awesome that way.

Back to the “butter with spread” topic, I do oddly love butter + pate on crackers, and butter + jam on croissants. But same thing there - I like the butter in cold solid chunks, not a thin spread.

Four ingredients…so good!
IMG_1750.jpeg
IMG_1751.jpeg

haven’t buttered any bread at all since 1990.

occasional exceptions: bread still hot from the oven; or when someone else has made the sandwich.

haven’t buttered any bread at all since 1990.
What an incredible loss of life quality! 😁

Oh, I also need to point out that "butter" is only "butter" when it is "butter", and not any equivalent/replacement/substitute. My parents in law still say they use butter when what they're really using is some subsitute invented by the biggest mafia in the world: food (=chemical) industry.

Last edited:
Jeezus, do you put butter on your cheeseburgers too?

My grandmother used to spread crisco on both sides of her hamburger patties before cooking them on an smoking hot electric griddle. And then she would throw the buns down in the grease to brown. I think she would get a real kick out of the current smash burger trend.

I am a no-butter convert, if using PB with jam (the correct name for what American's incorrectly refer to as jelly;)) peanut butter is the perfect base.

Try peanut butter with Branston Pickle, you will be pleasantly surprised.

If you grill a peanut butter and jelly sandwich just like a grilled cheese sandwich you will love every bite.

If butter is already on the bread, the peanut butter will not stick and I cannot get a thick satisfying smear without being super finicky. You have to do this weird patting and coaxing of the peanut butter to get it to stay put. No thanks.

Someone else mentioned eggo waffles. When I'm in the mood for a sweet breakfast I like to toast four eggo waffles. Put one down, layer of butter, second one down, peanut butter, third one down, jam or jelly, final one down, maple syrup. It sounds indulgent and without a doubt it is. But you keep it pretty manageable if you just do a thin layer of each.

I am eating this now and it’s… ok. I dont feel like the butter adds much since peanut butter is already rich and fatty. Not as good a complement as jelly/jam, banana, etc., in my opinion.

I’ve been to the some of the most trailer parky of methtopias that America has to offer in our great and varied nation. I’ve seen things done with peanut butter that would have caused god to nail himself to a cross in order to escape (these people make peanut butter sandwiches to dip in soup. ANY soup. (What came first? The chicken and dumpling or the peanut butter dipper? Come back in a few thousands years for a third try Jésus, these people walk amongst peanut butter beef stew and sin) ). I can say I’ve never seen anyone in any echelon of society apply butter to a peanut butter sandwich. We’ve committed many atrocities, but this one our hands are clean on.

Toast melts peanut butter, it’s already going to soften it similar to butter. When making a non toasted peanut butter sandwich you don’t want it to soften, so no need for butter. I suspect this is something localized to the former empire, similar to the butter sandwiches they consume across the pond. Buttered toast as an open face thing is definitely a thing here, but turning toast into a sandwich and using butter as the main filling is definitely a British thing.

We've had exactly this discussion not too long ago in a group of knife nerds. Nobody believed @mack when he said butter in coffee was good. As we were at his place, he served coffee with butter. It was quiet. Very quiet. He was so right!
They sell this at Whole Foods and the like… MCT butter to add to your coffee. They’re super tasty and definitely mellows out the caffeine kick and makes it longer lasting.

Back