A Question About Peanut Butter

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peanut Butter Is...

• Basically like butter, certainly don't need both.

• Nothing like butter, nominative determinism doesn't apply to spreads.

Results are only viewable after voting.
My grandma put butter on bread no matter what. It didn't matter what other toppings were going on it, butter was going down first.

I'm okay with pre-buttering but find it fully unnecessary. Peanut butter is the reason we have thumbs. Once we achieved this species-pinnacle, it's been all downhill since.

Nobody believed @mack when he said butter in coffee was good. As we were at his place, he served coffee with butter. It was quiet. Very quiet. He was so right!
Not that surprising, really. Butter is essentially a very fatty version of cream, and lots of people like coffee with cream.

There's a reason why butter is such a good base for cooking, especially classic french, it's delicious and makes pretty much everything taste better. Can't see why that wouldn't extend to bread

Breakfast Option 1: Toast the bread. Smear with butter. Smear with peanut butter. Top with drizzle of honey.

Breakfast Option 2: Toast the bread. Smear with butter. Smear with peanut butter. Top with slice of provolone cheese. But in broiler until cheese melts.

:dancingchicken:

Jeezus, do you put butter on your cheeseburgers too?
Coupla weeks I built a burger, cremini and Emmental on an English muffin spread both sides with cold Béarnaise.

It was amazingly delicious.

Breakfast Option 1: Toast the bread. Smear with butter. Smear with peanut butter. Top with drizzle of honey.

Breakfast Option 2: Toast the bread. Smear with butter. Smear with peanut butter. Top with slice of provolone cheese. But in broiler until cheese melts.

:dancingchicken:
“I’d eat that.”
— Attributed to M. K Gandhi

I love copious amounts of butter when cooking or baking but raw on bread was never my cup of tea. Jambon et beurre seems like a poor substitute for someone who happened to have no cheese to pair with the ham.
The best time to butter toast is IMO before toasting ir, then it's alright.

We've had exactly this discussion not too long ago in a group of knife nerds. Nobody believed @mack when he said butter in coffee was good. As we were at his place, he served coffee with butter. It was quiet. Very quiet. He was so right!

Well, it was @KAMON Knives who said it's tasty. I still think it's not but I was the only one iirc :cool:

I ain’t done with this - the Americans invited the butter burger!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butter_burger

I would also like to table that toast with butter and honey is one of life’s great pleasures, and buttering your bread for a bacon sandwich is essential.
I have made butter burgers. They’re honestly not that great. I was fully prepared to love them, but they were unworthy.

In that type of format I wouldn’t want a thin room-temperature spread, but thick chunks of cold, cultured butter that I can sink my teeth into. Butter’s pretty awesome that way.

Back to the “butter with spread” topic, I do oddly love butter + pate on crackers, and butter + jam on croissants. But same thing there - I like the butter in cold solid chunks, not a thin spread.

A valid and worthwhile diversion I think. If one has posh bread and posh butter; then it should be fridge cold, and it should be sliced thickly. Nothing else is necessary.

Many is the time I've been to a fancy restaurant, and they bring you out the best sourdough you've ever had in yer life... and then give you some feckin room-temperature, whipped butter nonsense to go with it.

---

Butter in addition to peanut butter on toast is the most vile utterance I have ever encountered

And there was me thinking all this time that you were one of the more sensible and well-informed people on the forums. For shame!

---

I’ve been to the some of the most trailer parky of methtopias that America has to offer in our great and varied nation. I’ve seen things done with peanut butter that would have caused god to nail himself to a cross in order to escape (these people make peanut butter sandwiches to dip in soup. ANY soup. (What came first? The chicken and dumpling or the peanut butter dipper? Come back in a few thousands years for a third try Jésus, these people walk amongst peanut butter beef stew and sin) ). I can say I’ve never seen anyone in any echelon of society apply butter to a peanut butter sandwich. We’ve committed many atrocities, but this one our hands are clean on.

Toast melts peanut butter, it’s already going to soften it similar to butter. When making a non toasted peanut butter sandwich you don’t want it to soften, so no need for butter. I suspect this is something localized to the former empire, similar to the butter sandwiches they consume across the pond. Buttered toast as an open face thing is definitely a thing here, but turning toast into a sandwich and using butter as the main filling is definitely a British thing.

I doff my cap!

This is so eloquently put, that there is a real and significant danger to the casual reader or part-time peanut butter eater, who could very easily be fooled into believing that the central premise wasn't complete nonsense.

😜

Last edited:
Back