A tough decision to make

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:doublethumbsup: +:happy3:

Not too many people can make that kind of statement...

You see as you know from reading this thread, " what would dad do" thing was heavily on my mind during the whole decision-making process. So on my way out I thought to myself yeah Scotty (my dad) would take that, he'd think it was cool to have.
I guess this is one step up from people taking spoons from restaurants?

The ironic part of this is the reason I wanted it. It's because it will remind me (thus giving me a tool to keep me in check) of the level of perfectionism and professionalism I witnessed during my short time there.

Colin, you just might be one of the coolest guys I know through an Internet forum. :D

My cousin was the head chef of a premier french restaurant here in town for over a decade. He recently made a move similar to yours. He took a head chef job about three years ago at a local upper class country club because he decided to get married and had a child. He's 41yrs old. He's not making more money but he now is the boss and has a life too. He's been to more family functions in the last two years than the previous 15yrs. He called it a lateral move with benefits.

Congratulations Colin and best wishes!

Ramsey's?

Country club contract started the first of the year but the club's not open till March. Ramsey's place was hiring and staffing for the holidays, and paying Union wages! Overtime+holiday pay+night differential adds up quick, cooks there make more then management, hell they make more than some doctors.

There is a thing called "country club politics". It is a hard pill to swallow. You work in a tight kitchen that is well oiled. The hierarchy is apparent. Yet the management is young and plentiful. Your foh staff will be the most terrible you have ever encountered. There is no repercussions. It is a long, fat chain of command that ends in the HR department, and if you complain, you will become the problem. No more what chef says goes...

As I was told by a seasoned chef, focus on your box, perfect your box, anything on the outside will drive you mad...

Good luck!!!

There is a thing called "country club politics". It is a hard pill to swallow. You work in a tight kitchen that is well oiled. The hierarchy is apparent. Yet the management is young and plentiful. Your foh staff will be the most terrible you have ever encountered. There is no repercussions. It is a long, fat chain of command that ends in the HR department, and if you complain, you will become the problem. No more what chef says goes...

As I was told by a seasoned chef, focus on your box, perfect your box, anything on the outside will drive you mad...

Good luck!!!

They also have a tendency to hire pretty young FOH, so look on the bright side.

"As I was told by a seasoned chef, focus on your box, perfect your box, anything on the outside will drive you mad..."

Aina hay!

Back