AirBNB knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I simply pack my cheap 210 Gyoto in AS, stays sharp AF for ages.

Current travel kit is :
that 210 AS Gyoto
Commandante C40 Nitro red clix grinder
Cafelat Robot
Freshly roasted coffee

Not sure about how feasible it is to put a Gyoto in check in luggage though...(I vividly recall someone having heated arguments with TSA about the Antenna of an Empire State building statue)

Last edited:
I remembered to bring a decent travel kit for my current getaway:

PXL_20240102_172023290.jpg

But alas, didn't bring a cutting board, and this is the biggest one the rental has (225 for scale):

PXL_20240102_172056701.jpg

I have a Shapton Pro 2K made for edge pro that I keep in my travel kit. Only meant as upkeep for the stones I bring though.

I’ve been playing around the idea of a SP320 in the same size as a counterpart, but I think I’d hate the narrow size at that coarse.

Shapton Glass stone Sevens look awesome.

My non-consensual "1 knife month" with this Airbnb "Fiesta" chef knife up in Alaska for the past 20 days. Looked like someone had already tried to sharpen it...it was scratched to hell. Still too dull to cut an onion safely but I hit it with the mini Belgian blue and made it usable. Definitely makes me appreciate the j-knife collection all the more. I even thought about bringing a bunka but figured that would be too dramatic, I regret not being dramatic.

View attachment 247658

I'm also the weirdo who brings a knife along with me when I travel. Typically, it's been a 180 Mazaki, but I just bought a 180 TF Mab off BST that's going to replace it.

Last time we traveled, all the place had was a glass cutting board (gasp!). I had to touch up my knife on the back of a coffee cup after every meal. My sister in law, who's totally cool, was there and understood the gravity of the situation. For Christmas this year, she got me a folding cutting board to travel with. That was a very thoughtful gift. Thanks, sis.

That's exactly what brought me on my way to kkf and to buying a simple knife roll. Knives in holiday apartments always suck. My fingernails are mostly sharper than any of those 'knives'.
I got some stainless Zwilling knives with plastic handles for that purpose. But what would life be without a nakiri? And a petty.

Yeah, a Shapton 7 series works a treat, and a friend glues them back-to-back for a double sided stone. That would be all that you need for travel. I do like my own cutting noard.

Hey, where are all those 240mm and 270mm gyutos? :D

If I'm checking a bag, I'm bringing at least my EDC knife, and that does great in a pinch.
In France, I bought an Opinel for shits, and that was great, too.

Not nearly as dedicated as y'all, since I like buying other **** when I travel, and knives would add stressors and bulk.

If I'm checking a bag, I'm bringing at least my EDC knife, and that does great in a pinch.
In France, I bought an Opinel for shits, and that was great, too.

Not nearly as dedicated as y'all, since I like buying other **** when I travel, and knives would add stressors and bulk.

When I travel, I ship my dirty laundry back to make room for the good stuff in checked bags. If the dirty underwear gets stolen or lost, I would have a good laugh.

@Steve56, I usually under-pack, and use my dirty laundry to wrap all my alcohol to ensure they don't start fighting each other.
But shipping laundry is an interesting option that I may pocket for later...

I've not had much luck with the coffee cup bottom. For crappy AirBNB knives, I bring along a 6"x1" (EdgePro) Venev 400 diamond resin-bonded stone. If it were a road trip, and weight didn't matter, I'd bring along a full-sized Venev. The diamonds work great for both slightly crappy stainless and really really crappy stainless.

I'm often in airbnb or extended stay hotels for work. I always have a small, fast coticule bout that I use to touch up my field knives on and will do in a pinch for crappy rental knives. Not the most efficient but it's a good do-it-all stone.
The DMT coarse/fine worked so well for my grandparents old, soft stainless I'm considering a small one to fully insulate myself from having to gut it out.

Confucius say, the wise man becomes the Johnny Appleseed of AirBnB knives; the unwise man drop $500 on EYC.

Confucius say, the wise man leaves in his wake a series of one-star reviews “great stay except cut myself on the knives, way too sharp to use safely”; the unwise man himself must leave one-star review “the !$#*ing airline lost my knife”

Confucius say, the wise man leaves in his wake a series of one-star reviews “great stay except cut myself on the knives, way too sharp to use safely”

A friend of mine just got back from a new year’s visit to his in-law’s, he took a couple of stones because he knew that the knives would be dull. His brother-in-law’s wife cut herself.

Back